2010 1.6TDi EGR Valve replacement query

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Any prior symptoms to the EGR on its way out or is it just fine fine fine limp mode?
How does driving style affect EGR replacement requirements or is it just luck of the draw?
Getting a bit twitchy about it now as mine's done about 45k to date, is out of warranty and didn't have its last service at Seat because they wanted silly money to replace the cambelt and water pump.

*geocass*

Any prior symptoms to the EGR on its way out or is it just fine fine fine limp mode?
How does driving style affect EGR replacement requirements or is it just luck of the draw?
Getting a bit twitchy about it now as mine's done about 45k to date, is out of warranty and didn't have its last service at Seat because they wanted silly money to replace the cambelt and water pump.

Mine was absolutely fine until one day I turned on the ignition and the glow plug light started flashing THen it just went to downhill from there.

Aaz88

Mine just went straight away, driving to work one day, glow plug light came on and limp mode followed

KD88

Mind's just gone the same way but I've done over 85k miles.

Local mechanic is doing the work but the part alone is well over £200.

Cam belt £80, two failed heater fan resistors and crap customer service, I'll not be buying another Seat, or indeed any VAG car.

Sergio

Jul 27, 2011
Leeds and/or London
Did 93k in a 1.6TDI with no EGR or DPF drama. If you don't do 20k a year I don't see the point in having a diesel though - you run the risk of huge bills for what is, in reality, a marginal saving on fuel.

Last edited:

Sergio

Jul 27, 2011
Leeds and/or London

Cambelt is 200,000 km though most dealers don't seem to grasp that.

Last edited:

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Just for future reference this problem is caused by doing frequent short runs. The 1.6 TDI simply wasn't designed for that sort of usage, hence it's people with low mileage experiencing problems and high mileage users won't have any grief. Same scenario as the DPF really. Stick with the TSIs for low mileage use/ frequent short runs.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
Clogs up a breaks the runner off and they are a pretty naff job. We do at least one a week and 5 hours is just about ample to replace them.

At the end of the day it's lasted 3 years and over 30k which is a reasonable amount of time.

I guess you've seen more of these than most---what's the chance of a repair or are they just for the bin ? don't have that engine but was wondering about picking one up for research /repair from someone (who offered--at a price) who'd had a new one fitted cheers Nic

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Sorry, doing two a week of these now! Some break the runner off, others blow the seal and leak gases through which stops the valve opening properly and logs a position sensor fault. They probably could be repaired but for now they are replaced with a revised version.

I'll gladly put one aside providing seat don't want it back?

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
cheers for that--I don't get up your way (Oldham ?) very often but would be glad if I could get in touch at some time in future if passing, to see if you have anything in the "recycle" bin it was just for curiosity and if fixable may benefit some poor soul !! cheers for now Nic

benjamr

Grrr! This has just happened to me too on my 2010 Ibiza 1.4 TDi Ecomotive.

Firstly I noticed the car "juddering" when accelerating through 40-50mph. Then I noticed that the car was smoking quite a lot from the exhaust. Clearly there is something wrong.

The car didn't seem to have as much acceleration as it should and two warning lights have now appeared on the dash.

1. Glow plug system / Engine fault warning lamp flashing:

This apparently means that there is a fault in the engine management system.

2. Emission control system warning lamp lit:

This apparently means that there is a fault reducing the quality of the exhaust gas (e.g. lambda probe fault).

My local garage (not a Seat approved repairer) said the EGR valve needs to be replaced and also described it as a marathon job to get to it. (In many other cars they said this is a 10 min job)!

So looking foward to another massive bill. I only paid £550 for MOT & service a week ago :-(

I bought this car as it was economic and would hopefully save me money :-(

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
I don't have any practical experience with these but looking at a diagram the egr looks easy enough to get at the cooler more involved but it may only need the valve cleaning depends on your milage and type of use MJ might chip in 'spect he's done loads best of luck keep us posted on progress

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
I don't have any practical experience with these but looking at a diagram the egr looks easy enough to get at the cooler more involved but it may only need the valve cleaning depends on your milage and type of use MJ might chip in 'spect he's done loads best of luck keep us posted on progress

I had one ready to post to you nic but the post code was wrong.

They are valve and cooler, one and the same. Not an easy or quick task to remove and clean or replace.

Leyburn

Grrr! This has just happened to me too on my 2010 Ibiza 1.4 TDi Ecomotive.

Firstly I noticed the car "juddering" when accelerating through 40-50mph. Then I noticed that the car was smoking quite a lot from the exhaust. Clearly there is something wrong.

The car didn't seem to have as much acceleration as it should and two warning lights have now appeared on the dash.

1. Glow plug system / Engine fault warning lamp flashing:

This apparently means that there is a fault in the engine management system.

2. Emission control system warning lamp lit:

This apparently means that there is a fault reducing the quality of the exhaust gas (e.g. lambda probe fault).

My local garage (not a Seat approved repairer) said the EGR valve needs to be replaced and also described it as a marathon job to get to it. (In many other cars they said this is a 10 min job)!

So looking foward to another massive bill. I only paid £550 for MOT & service a week ago :-(

I bought this car as it was economic and would hopefully save me money :-(

Hi, if you're still following this thread, what mileage has the car done? Is it mainly motorway or local? My Ecomotive has just reached 90k mainly m/way miles and has flashing glowplug and engine management light (yellow outline of engine). My understanding is that the EGR passes more exhaust gas at 2k rpm plus, so more likely to foul the inlet tract at constant m/way speed.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members