2010 1.6TDi EGR Valve replacement query

Colin Smith

Jul 13, 2015
I have just got the same problem on my wife's Ibiza Mk 5 1600TDI. Local workshop for VAG group cars has diagnosed blocked EGR valve and associated pipework at approx 28700miles with repair cost £765. We will now take it to the local W Yorkshire Seat dealer and see if there is any goodwill in the air. Will report results.

Last edited:

Danster

Jul 31, 2015
Thought I'd sign up just to share my tale of woe....

I've been driving an old Honda Accord for the last five years and while it still carries on working I decided that I wanted something newer and after looking around found a Leon 1.6 TDI SE Copa (65k) in Derby (I live in Bristol). I got the RAC to inspect it and the few issues raised the garage agreed to fix.

Last weds I went to pick it up with my 12 year old daughter, we caught the train from Bristol and got to the dealership around 15:30. All the work had been completed, a full service and MOT and even a new alloy that I hadn't asked for. I paid up and we drove away. We were very happy, all the mod cons were new to us and the car just seemed so new and fresh. It was all good until...

We got to around Birmingham and the glow plug light started flashing, then the car started juddering and losing power... Luckily I was just about to pass the NEC so rolled off the motorway and pulled in, the car died and wouldn't start again. Because of the logistics and the time (it was about five thirty by then) I agreed with the garage to get my breakdown cover to take us home and then try to claim on the warranty (AA Gold) that I got with the car.

Seven hours later! We finally got home, the Leon left at our local Seat garage, one very tired daughter and seriously p****d off dad!

Waited all day yesterday for a reply from SEAT, until this morning when they called and told me it is the EGR Valve that needs replacing and that total cost would be £750! (£260 for the part plus 4-5 hours labour@ £90) :( Luckily, the AA warranty covers this and so I don't have to pay a penny AND don't have to chase after the dealership I bought it from for reimbursement.

Not a great start to being a SEAT owner! :)

Colin Smith

Jul 13, 2015
Our Ibiza 1.6TDI Has the same problem which has been diagnosed by a VAG dealer, but although there may be some goodwill available, the Seat stealer claims that they can't do anything unless the car is actually malfunctioning when brought in, which is fair enough. Can we get it to consistently malfunction...no! The flashing coil appears, then after a stop and a restart disappears, not to appear again for quite a while, i.e many tens or even hundreds of miles.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
You're being fobbed off there Colin Smith. If there's a fault stored that's on the TPI then they should be replacing your egr valve wether it's doing it there and then or not.

Last edited:

Colin Smith

Jul 13, 2015
You are probably right, but at this stage the car is still working and if we want goodwill from the stealer, it is probably better to go along with what they suggest. I can only think that at present the valve is sticking occasionally and then freeing itself. It isn't a great problem since we have 2 cars and my wife can't drive at present.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The goodwill is nothing to do with the dealer it's seat uk who'll be forking out and if the dealer does their job right you'll have an answer straight away. escalate your claim with customer services and I pretty much guarantee you'll get it replaced with a high discount.

Wrighton

May 29, 2015
United Kingdom
I'll just share my experience for those interested.
Bought a 59plate Mk5 Ibiza 1.6 TDI 105ps with 30k miles back in November which developed the same problem in January. The Seat Dealer after 2 attempts diagnosed it and quoted £795 which I was already prepared for after reading this thread. I asked for a goodwill claiming common fault but the dealer said Seat UK declined, so I called them directly and after a week of faffing about I got a 50% customer loyalty goodwill because the car had a full service history.
Hope this helps!

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
If you had full dealer history and the dealer told you seat uk declined any good will I very much doubt the even applied for it, they just fobbed you off.

Wrighton

May 29, 2015
United Kingdom
I did think that, that's why I called Seat UK myself. The dealer said that there are two types of goodwill, loyalty and factory. They claimed to ask for factory goodwill because it's worth more in terms of goodwill contribution but that could be a whole load of rubbish for all I know.

JoeleonFR

Jan 4, 2014
Crewe
Anyone in the North West area with this fault or any other faults pop in & see myself at Crewe SEAT!

There is usually some form of goodwill in relation to this fault as it's rather a common issue!

Cheers guys

Joe :)

Colin Smith

Jul 13, 2015
Another similar happy ending for my wife's 1.6TDI sport. SEAT have supplied the parts free of charge and the agent has agree a 70% contribution to labout. Dealer dealt with the problem promptly but only agree the 70% after I started mentioning "sale of goods act", component "unfit for purpose" and it being the retailer's responsibility, also making reference to small claims court. Shows how a little pressure can concentrate minds wonderfully. I did have the advantage of an alternative VAG qualified repairer (not a SEAT agent) to whom I could have taken the car...and then have pursued the agent for the costs through small claims. Curiously the agent did offer to give me the components supplied by SEAT!

Last edited:

Colin Smith

Jul 13, 2015
I quite agree with MJ, my experience (see my post below) was greatly more satisfactory, and if we had had 100% service history, the work would have been done free of charge by our West Yorkshire dealership.

lil_sham

Jan 22, 2008
Anyone in the North West area with this fault or any other faults pop in & see myself at Crewe SEAT!

There is usually some form of goodwill in relation to this fault as it's rather a common issue!

Cheers guys

Joe :)

Hi Joe, can I come over with a non Seat? Just bought a polo 1.6tdi, & I think my EGR is shot, power loss, losing water etc

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise