Installing CD changer in EXEO ST

hamlet4270

Mar 7, 2015
Hi,

Hope somebody can offer some advice

I've got a Exeo 143 SE Tech with the RNS-E head unit with the Ipod connector in the glove box.

From what I've seen it looks the iPod adapter is basically useless (made more so by not having any iPhones or Ipods in my house) and just emulates a 6CD changer.

So i believe there was an option of having a 6disc CD changer in the glovebox where the adapter is. This would be far more useful as i've got a fair amount of CDs.

So my questions are:

1) How easy is this to retrofit?

2) While researching it i came across component protection - would this be an issue? From what I can tell this just limits features available to the car but since the RNS-E head unit already thinks it has a CD changer would it matter - Or is it somehow coded to the CD changer?

3) I've been looking for a second-hand unit from ebay but Seat ones seem to be rare. I can find lots of Skoda or Audi ones - Would these work? Audi part number is 8E 0035111, Skoda one is 1Z 0035111A

I've seen a couple that a cheap enough that I may just take a punt, however if there is a risk of bricking the head-unit or having to fork out for a dealer to disable component protection I may just stick with the Aux and SD cards.

Thanks,

okedave

Jul 14, 2014
Personally I would stick with SD cards, Ive found it to be much better as you can fit all your music on, not just a limited number of CD's, plus because its solid state it never jumps if you hit any potholes.

hamlet4270

Mar 7, 2015
Yeah i'm using the SD cards at the moment but my RNS-E unit is the one that won't read high capacity SD cards so i've only ever found 2GB ones that work.

It's more for convenience really and the kids Disney CD's which i'll probably never get around to copying to SD.

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
That's odd - my RNS-E is reading a 16GB card - but it does take a few minutes for it to load up. The 1GB card I have in the other slot is almost instant.

greg.r

Jun 9, 2014
I imagine any cd changer from any vag car that had rns-e should work.

It may be worth looking in to a product called phatnoise, this is basically a hard drive that emulates the cd changer. I had one in my old car with rns-e, it has its limitations but it works and at the time allowed me to store more music than the 4gb the rns-e sd cards would allow.

hamlet4270

Mar 7, 2015
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I know the newer model rns-e systems can read SDHC cars but i assume mine is an older model (60 plate).

I've seen a couple around the 25quid mark so may just give it a bash.

Thanks greg.r I'll also have a look at the phatnoise

Mr owl

Aug 8, 2015
That's odd - my RNS-E is reading a 16GB card - but it does take a few minutes for it to load up. The 1GB card I have in the other slot is almost instant.

Hi Decadent,

I have also 16GB sd card and whenever I take it out to upload some more mp3 I seem to be missing some songs. When I look up the content on the pc it's all there. I know people say it takes some minutes to load up but what do you normally do. I slot mine in and its reading sd card and after a while it says mp3 so I left it for a minute playing radio and tried the media (sd card) afterwards. Any tips and suggestions?

Last edited:

Derbian

Aug 12, 2013
Derby
Hi

Had a similar problem not long ago and it really bugged me as I went back and loaded material from ITunes a couple of times without the tracks appearing.

It turned out that it was due to the length of the title of the track, shortened the track title before loading them onto the SD card (2 x 32 gb) and they suddenly appeared.

Haven't counted how many characters are allowed, probably around 30

Might be something else but it's worth checking.

hamlet4270

Mar 7, 2015
I gave it a punt anyway. Found one for sale from an old Octavia.

Ipod adapter slid out the glovebox and CD changer went straight in it's place using the same cable. Worked 1st time.

Part number was 1Z0 035 111 A

:)

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
I gave it a punt anyway. Found one for sale from an old Octavia.

Ipod adapter slid out the glovebox and CD changer went straight in it's place using the same cable. Worked 1st time.

Part number was 1Z0 035 111 A

:)

Does it play MP3 CD's ?

tomc1983

Jan 11, 2016
Worked First time!

Hi - Following your post I also "punted" on a Skoda Octavia CD changer - Also worked first time - One point to mention is that the CD changer powers down after about 5-10 minutes once the car electrics power down (you will see the hazard light turn off) - I tested by simply leaving the glove box open and locking the car. The CD changer powers back up as soon as you unlock the car. - Just a point I thought I would mention

Thanks for the tip!

Exomotive

Exomotive
Dec 4, 2015
Norfolk
I don't know how much track info your head units are displaying but the Audi Concert II+ that's fitted to non-Tech Pack cars can show next to nothing.

However, the USB port in the glovebox (instead of an iPod dock) works really well. The head unit still thinks it's talking to a 6CD changer, so you still have to have all your tracks in six folders. But it's still better than a 6CD changer for giving you far greater capacity - mines a 16GB stick and works fine.

So I would say that swapping the iPod dock for a USB port is the simplest option, and it takes up far less space in your glove box than a 6CD changer.

See my recent post here:
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=426173

Best wishes.

okedave

Jul 14, 2014
Ive just swapped over my ipod dock for the 6 CD changer, and I really cant believe how simple it was. Absolutely delighted that it only took 1 minute and worked straight away :)

With the added bonus it came with three CD's already in it, lol. (From a breakers yard not stolen I might add).

okedave

Jul 14, 2014
Has anybody got a pic of the cd changer to see what to look for?

also what sort of pricesx you buying them for?

Just enter the part code "1Z0 035 111 A" into ebay and a load come up. I paid £25 for mine which came out of a car from a scrap yard that I think had been in an accident.

$_35.JPG

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members