Anyone had their emissions "fixed"?

Dark Andrew

Jan 25, 2011
Got my copy of that letter this morning too. I wonder if they'll offer me the fix when I take it in for its service in a week and half's time?

GTRACING

Sep 27, 2014
Hi All.
I have a 143 ST 62 plate , 28000k ,
I have had mine done 6 months ago, and have been watching fuel and performance .
I use Shell v power, and I have not seen or felt any difference. On a run I regularly get high 50s , today on a 2hr run on the motorway, the trip showed 60.2mpg.
I just fill up and drive , but reading this and other threads felt the need to reply if this reply helps
Regards GT

Flobadob

Apr 6, 2015
Warwickshire
From memory when I was looking for my Exeo the 2012 model had different emissions and thus the tax was lower for the 2012-13 cars. This might be the reason for the delay in the fix for pre 2012 models.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Just spotted this online, not sure if its solely related to DSG cars but its worrying all the same. The comments after the article have more horror stories.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/vo...guans-losing-power-after-ea189-emissions-fix/

I'm not going to get it done unless I absolutely have to, and if the performance and/or economy are worse off after, I won't be amused. US VW owners can have their cars bought back but European customers are somehow not entitled to the same offer. It will be interesting to see the verdict of the class action lawsuits.

pooclah

Feb 14, 2016
Got my copy of that letter this morning too. I wonder if they'll offer me the fix when I take it in for its service in a week and half's time?

I doubt it as it seems that they haven’t released a ‘technical measure’ for our vehicles yet, and I hope they don’t in the next couple of weeks, mine goes in for a service 2 weeks tomorrow.

After following the link provided by Tom B, like him I will be avoiding the fix if at all possible.

Derbian

Aug 12, 2013
Derby
Hi

Got the letter yesterday.

Volkswagen Group UK has received approval to release technical measures for over 440,000 affected vehicles. Our intention is to release technical measures for all remaining vehicles with an outstanding EA 189 service action by the end of 2016. Implementation of these technical measures will however continue into 2017.

No action is required from you at this time. Once the specific technical measure for your vehicle is released, we will write to you directly with details of how to book your car in for this service action.

Dark Andrew

Jan 25, 2011
I think if I'm offered the fix when I have the service in 10 days, I'm going to decline. I'll also have to remember to bring it up when I take the car in just in case they install it without asking.

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
After reading those reviews on the Honest John link - there's no way i'm opting in. Sounds like they've reduced the fuelling to reduce emissions. I am no expert but that means less useable power between 1500 - 2500 tpm and more fuel used as the driver will compensate by mashing the throttle to get the power band.

I'm due a service in 1000 miles and am worried the dealer will just update it.

Last edited:

Phil Truman

Oct 18, 2016
Hi, just signed up to the forum, drive an 2013 Exeo 2.0 TDI sport tech auto with 55k. Had the fix done on Thursday when the car was serviced and really not happy at all. Seems to have lost it's oomph and feels a lot less smooth. The kick down seems to lag too. Seems to be using more diesel too, about 4mpg less on average. Will be ringing Seat garage tomorrow but I don't suppose they'll want to put it back how it was. Really wish I'd listened to people and made them leave well alone. If it stays like it is then it's going. Are there any ways to improve the performance?

Bish72

Mar 4, 2015
Hi, I put my 2013 Exeo CR170 ST (only 22K) in for a main dealer service last week. I told them I did not wish to have the emissions fix work carried out, all I had to do was tick the opt out box on the work/service sheet to be carried out. The dealer, Snows Seat in Southampton understood my wishes and concerns with no hassle and although you wonder if they'll do it sneakily I am confidant they didn't as it still drives the same as before the service.
Until I hear of any good things about the "fix" I shall continue opting out.

Bish72

Mar 4, 2015
Just wondering if opting out will increase the car tax, can't see the DVLA giving us a free choice.

I'd happily pay a bit more road tax if it means my car won't run rough/under powered, but they'll have to wait another 12 months if they choose to go that route as I've just bought another years tax!

Karmann_65

Sep 7, 2016
Don't know if it's related but I had my 2012 Exeo ST 143 "fixed" at the main dealer several weeks ago and have had no issues until yesterday. Started the car from cold and got the emission control system warning on the dash. Advise in the handbook says to take it to the garage asap.

Drove the car today and there's no warning illuminated.

Paul20v

Jul 16, 2016
Ive had a letter for my 2010 143
I'm leaving well alone
if they have restricted the egr operation while on the road that's great less soot in the inlet track etc
the modification consists of more egr use on the road which from the engines point of view is not good so my letters can keep coming I wont be doing there so called mod .

Dark Andrew

Jan 25, 2011
Had my 60K service done today and was told that I had a "recall" outstanding on the car (ie. The emissions fix). Spoke to the tech guy at the dealership and was reassured enough to let them perform the fix on my car. So how is it? Driving home all seemed OK (drive included 20 mile motorway section, a steep uphill incline in 6th gear and various "B" roads) - engine feels and sounds more or less the same with no obvious loss of torque or power and with no sign of the "pinking" under load that was reported in the Tiguan thread, even while driving up Bluebell Hill in 6th gear. The only change that I think I might be able to feel (in a very unscientific and subjective way) is that I had always been aware of some judder when pulling away from a standing start, a behaviour which is well documented and often attributed to a combination of longitudinal engine orientation and condensation on cold clutch plates - however since the emissions fix, this seems to have gone. I can only guess but maybe the judder was due to engine vibration when pulling away at low revs and the engine was near stalling (which due to the longitudinal arrangement was more noticeable) and somehow the new map has helped address this - probably more by luck than by design. I'll keep you updated ...

Last edited:

jasons76

May 9, 2016
didn't know you can opt outs received a letter the other day to book it in and it is going in for service at the end of the month I was going to discuss it with the dealer but I think I will opt out if that is an option.

minimatto

Mar 7, 2015
got my 2012 143 estate booked in on 28th. As I have VCDS I will be doing logs before and after to check how the car is running. Will let you all know.

mickone

May 10, 2015
Has anyone had their emissions fixed? if so how are the MPG and power etc? both on a run and around town? I can't seem to find much info on anyone thats had it done on any vehicle really.

I am in two minds if to get mind done, the exeo we have will be with us for another year or two tops, but I don't fancy it using more fuel in reality, or having EGR issues in a year or so (I have already had to clear it out once at 42k as it had a good 7mm covering of soot and gunk already, where as my 1 year old 60k passat with the 140 engine has a film of sooty oil and that's it. (The exeo is a manual 170)

Cheers

Hi all had exeo update last Saturday 5 ,and has run ok no lost in power or mpg

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members