Mk1 Cupra R Track car.....build thread.....with Photos!

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Car might be for sale in a couple of weeks. Just waiting confirmation to see if a I have managed to get another car from Japan.

:)

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Ok. So weighing up my options I am keeping the Leon and will probably sell the Evo. Reason being the Evo is worth to much to thrash on a track. That is no disrespect to the Leon, its just parts are cheaper and easier to source.

Anyway I am back on with the build and this weekend coming all the bits are going on.

Springs and spacers and if weather nice get the oil cooler on.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Ok. So weighing up my options I am keeping the Leon and will probably sell the Evo. Reason being the Evo is worth to much to thrash on a track. That is no disrespect to the Leon, its just parts are cheaper and easier to source.

Anyway I am back on with the build and this weekend coming all the bits are going on.

Springs and spacers and if weather nice get the oil cooler on.
Good choice. Evo would be really cool till it goes wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Yup. I had a Evo back in 2006 and it was a money pit.

Just a quick question, 5mm spacers do they need longer wheel bolts?

Ta

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
I put 3mm on the other day and had loads of thread, 5mm wouldn't be an issue i don't think with stock bolts

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Ok

Fitted the below to my car this weekend and it looks a lot better now.
- Vogtland 35mm lowering springs
- Spacers 5mm front and 25mm rears (I think I am going to machine the rears by 5mm)
- New Pagid front discs and DS2500 pads
- Front caliper refurb (face only)

Before

After with new discs and pads

Springs

I will get more photos up in the future.

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Will bigger spacers at the rear not increase understeer?

Not sure TBH, but theoretically you could be right. Will have too see.

I have to say just driving back from my old mans the car has lost some of its point and squirt direction but that could be because I have swapped the front tyres to the rear as AD08r's going on front.

At the mo I have Bridgestone SO3 on rears and Joyride (previous owner bought) on the front!!!

:lol:

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Can I ask
What clutch did you go for when you swapped it out? Did you replace the flywheel? Thanks for any feed back as my clutch is starting to slip after the remap. Cupra r and cupra clutch's are the same ? I'm Sure they are

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.