LCR and CUPRA differences?

iamneallyons

Dec 29, 2016
Hi,

iv tried searching but i cant seem to find anything other than a thread that lists the differences between the 210 LCR and the 225 LCR, wondered what the actual differences between the CUPRA and the CUPRA-R are???

andycupra

status subject to change
a bit more than most would think:

there will be more differences than this but here is a short stab as the differences:

(based on UK models)

cupra has 17" alloys.
R has 18" with larger Brembo brakes. (option in the EU)
rea brakes on cupra are solid,
on the R are vented.

Cupra has K03s turbo
R has K04 (larger)

R has larger injectors than the cupra.
R has larger intake and charge pipework and air flow sensor.

Cupra has 1 single side intercooler - located behind the drivers side foglight
R has two intercoolers, (each about 80% of the size of the cupra). one behind each fog light.

Inlet manifold on the cupra has its inlet on the drivers side, (so near to the single intercooler)
the R has its inlet on the nearside.

Exhaust manifolds differ,
cupra has single CAT,
R has a twin set up.
Exhaust system on R is larger diameter and has a single oval tailpipe. (cupra is a singletwin as standard)

Different fog lights, (see different bumper below)

Cupra has cupra body kit.
R has R body kit. - front and rear bumper are more chunky and angular on the R. Front is also has a spoiler.
i think the R also has a marginally larger upper boot spoiler.

Cupra interior is generally black/dark with white roof lining and pillars.
The R interior including roof lining and pillars is black. (and rear view mirror etc)
Some cupras have leather, (very early standard, but most of the time an option)
R has material seats and had recaro seats as an option. (early ones also had rear recaros as option, later on didnt)
R decals on seats in the R.

R's has small 'R' badges on exterior.

Early Rs have the same steering wheel as the cupra. Later ones ( i think late 2003 onwards) have a chunkier/nicer steering wheel with red stripe at top.

power:
cupra 180 (remaps to around 205)
R 210 remaps to around 265/270
R 225. remaps to around 265/270 (the 210 /225 engines are in effect the same)

The suspension on the R is a better set up, (think Audi TT)
the anti roll bar on the R connects to the struts, on the cupra they dont.
I understand the R suspension may have a different ration regards shocks v springs, - (more shock) in my experiences Rs actually drive better, the cupra can be crashy.
The wishbones on the R are cast so are better than the cupra

R models have many other subtle differences such as firmer suspension top mounts, wishbone bushes etc.

Cupra R sits 5-10 mm lower than the cupra

Cupra R has red decals on the interior vents. purely for show.

overall if you can afford get the R, its a significant improvement.
The cupra in my opinion drives a little more urgently but runs out of puff early.
The R feels less urgent initially but is much quicker and more within itself as standard.

Last edited:

iamneallyons

Dec 29, 2016
Thats a really good guide, thanks for that!

I was under the impression for some reason there was...

1.8 20vt 180bhp

1.8 20vt 210bhp cupra

1.8 20vt 225bhp cupra-r.

Obviously the 180 is a cupra but the 210bhp isnt a cupra but its a cupra-r along with the 225 model.

I did think the KO4 BAM/AMK (210/225bhp models) remapped to more than 265/270bhp though, with accompanying mods i thought you could see 330bhp from them?

cheers.

iamneallyons

Dec 29, 2016
265 bhp is typical, you need to go stage 2 (intercooler, better downpipe etc) to get 280

anyhting over 300 is either bullshit or via running a different turbo in combination with other mods

So its the mk2 cupra (240bhp) and the mk2 r that will see 300 with a remap quite easily then.

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
I guess my question fits best in this thread.

I'm a bit confused about the difference between cupra and cupra R rear brake calipers. I have searched over etka and found something confusing:

cupra and cupra r have the same calipers (part number is the same, apart from the colour), whilst Leon 4 and cupra r (I presume AMK), have different part number for calipers. Cupra has 232x9mm and all the other 256x22mm brake discs.
Cupra 1J0615423B
Cupra r 1J0615423E
Leon 4 8N0615423C

Brake carrier part numbers are different for every model:
cupra 6Q0615425A
Cupra r 1J0615425E
Leon 4 8N0615425B

Can anyone tell me, if rear brake calipers from cupra and cupra r are really the same (apart from the colour)? If so, then I only need to get new brake carrier and should fit the 256x22 disc normally, although that doesn't make really sense to me, since the cupra r disc is a lot wider/stronger.

TurboFriend

Oct 14, 2018
No information about which engine model is the best? VAG, AUM, BAM , AUQ.
Apparently my AUQ engine can handle more Power if tuned as it has forged rods and engine parts.
Good interesting thread

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members