Leon MK1 FR 150 boost pipe alternatives

clag

Dec 28, 2016
Hi all.

So inevitably, one of my boost hoses failed. Its the plactic pipe which runs up the front of the engine to the left hand side. It took out the plastic which holds the sprung clip, so it doesnt hold anymore.

What i ended up doing as a temporary is drilling the 2 pipes, through the plastic and metal coupling abd screwing them together.

I did it with care to make sure i caught all of the swarf. Stuffed a few rags in both ends of the pipe while i drilled ir, deburred and made sure i caught all of the waste.

While it works and holds boost, i cant help thinking it is a temporary solution.

Replacing these pipes is quite expensive by the looks of it so i wonddered if there are any good steel/slicone combo sets which are more durable. From what i can tell it seems to be a common issue.

Any help would be great. I dont want to shell out for 2 new pipes for it to just go again.

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Common issue is an understatement, most people who own a VAG TDI of this era will at some point have to deal with these absolutely **** bayonet hose connectors.
I had numerous pipe problems on my previous 2 mk4 Golf TDI's and my current PD150 Leon is no different!
Like yourself I ended up drilling virtually every joint in the system and fitting small pan headed self tapping screws along with new seals and clips throughout.
None have budged since but yeah, I know what you mean about temporary fix.
The problem is off the shelf kits are extremely expensive and the choice is very limited as there aren't many companies that cater for these particular engines.
There's a considerably cheaper Chinese kit on eBay that I'm considering which as far as I can see is identical to the Darkside Developments kit albeit without the alloy bayonet clip connectors
Darkside, Forge, SFS and Creation motorsport all sell these separately anyway.

I actually have 2 of the 3 required which I've accumulated over the years constantly combating this friggin things!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

clag

Dec 28, 2016
So they do hold out well with this repair?

I did look at the darkside kit and a couple of the ebay jobbies but i just wondered which were good :)

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Well mine are still secure after about 6 months. I even put them in the plastic intercooler joints as they were particularly loose.
I'd like an alloy tank ended S3 intercooler buy again far from a cheap swap so I'll more than likely end up permanently bonding in the alloy clip connectors so I can attach silicone hoses and use Mikalor clamps.

clag

Dec 28, 2016
There was a full silicone kit i saw made by airtek for just under £200 which looks decent tbh.

The darkside one does look really good though. Im planning to keep mine standard other than maybe a remap so the stock intercooler is fine for me :)

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
The standard FMIC is supposedly good enough to flow decent power hikes, the problem lies in the pipe connectors.
I've read of some owners having the plastic splitting or seperating from the core on the ends as well so obviously the upgrade combats this.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.