Anyone ordered yet?

Woksin

Dec 13, 2017
Leicestershire
And there was me thinking car manufacturers were charitable organisations! :rolleyes:

You can get many forms lf businesses, it’s not just profit or charitable. In this case, pure profit comes to mind. Rather than a business that strives to make amprofit whilst also being ethical and providing people with appropriate standards.

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
I'm intrigued which car manufacturer(s) you consider 'ethical'...

Do you not think you might be slightly over-exaggerating the importance of electric rear windows on a small car?

#firstworldproblems springs immediately to mind

Woksin

Dec 13, 2017
Leicestershire
I'm intrigued which car manufacturer(s) you consider 'ethical'...

Do you not think you might be slightly over-exaggerating the importance of electric rear windows on a small car?

#firstworldproblems springs immediately to mind

I would consider Tesla very ethical, for its ethical aims rather than profitable ones. Also Toyota.
I’m not saying just about the windows, it’s just you can tell very easily no one bothered to try and make the right hand drive a reflection of the left.

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
...you can tell very easily no one bothered to try and make the right hand drive a reflection of the left.
If the RHD market was a reflection of the LHD (mainland Europe) market then manufacturers wouldn't need to cut as many costs as they do to remain competitive.

The UK is unique in Europe in that we are constantly battering dealers for bigger and bigger discounts (whilst simultaneously bitching about poor residual values) at the same time that manufacturers are offering bigger and bigger incentives to try to get a bigger slice of a smaller pie.

In contrast, in Spain for example, people go to their local dealership, buy a new car at the screen price, generally keep it until it falls to bits, and then do it again. As a result, manufacturer and dealer margins are secure, used car prices are higher (there are far fewer of them as they don't keep pushing people to change their car every 2-3 years and certainly don't pre-register thousands of cars to hit unrealistic targets) and people don't go on forums complaining that the car they have ordered doesn't have electric rear windows.

Obviously this is a massive over-simplification of how the different markets operate, but hopefully you now understand why 'hard done by' UK buyers sometimes don't get as many buttons to press as our European friends.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
I will never go this if these are not

1. No electric rear windows
2. No armrest
3. Pure laziness in leaving the buttons on the left of the gearstick when there is room on the right.

How anyone can go for this? By the way there are lot other variants? Any idea?

You've missed one:

4. No heated seats

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Just read a Fleet street review that claims the Ibiza will seat 5 chubby adults. I though it was only a couple of inches bigger than a Mk5 (which certainly wont). Is it really that much wider and longer than the old one (which is only good for kids in the back)?

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
Is it really that much wider and longer than the old one (which is only good for kids in the back)?
8" wider. 2" shorter.

Obviously these are external dimensions, but the use of space is very impressive and there really is a LOT more room in the front and back.

DigiMagic

Apr 14, 2017
3. Pure laziness in leaving the buttons on the left of the gearstick when there is room on the right.

There are buttons on both sides of the gearstick, depending on chosen equipment. Start/stop on the left, parking aid on the right, something like that (I'm too lazy to go check in the car).

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
Is it going to take Leon sales then?
Already is.

Leon segment is shrinking across all brands. People are moving away from mid-size hatchbacks/estates to SUVs in their droves, and with small hatchbacks getting bigger with every generation Leon-sized cars are now feeling the pressure on sales from all sides.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Just heard that my 1.5 TSI is due to be built in 2 weeks. I ordered my car early December.

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
Well, ours is now built and in Spain awaiting transport to the UK. I reckon it took 12 or so weeks to be built. Still on track for early/mid Feb at the dealer, and collection Friday 2nd March :)

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
Apparently I’ll get a video walk around of the car when it does arrive...not sure I need that, but a nice touch I guess :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members