04 Cupra retrofit reversing sensors

617sqn

Aug 12, 2017
Hi All.

I was attempting to fit reversing sensors to my sons Leon Cupra today but have run into difficulties. Identifying cables was no problem, but the running of a live connection from the tailgate located reversing lights is. Has anybody managed to feed the cables up the tailgate from the lamp wiring and then back down through the body into the boot area ? I took a look at the central trim at the rear of the roof lining to help, but didn't want to break the strong clips there so stopped trying. Is there an accepted method of attacking that job without damage ? I could probably proceed if that was removed showing access to the body cavities.

Thanks,

Andy (a newbie).

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
On mine there was a hole behind the bumper where some wires were fed through, I think they were number plate light wires. I put mine through there and connected to the reversing light wire which is one the left side of the boot behind the cover, fairly close to the boot courtesy light. I think the wire was blue or maybe blue and black. Search in the Leon Mk1 section and the info is there.

617sqn

Aug 12, 2017
Thank you very much. I've found the thread and the subsequent write up, so I'll follow that and see how we go. I see most people have bought expensive sensors, but I've had great success with cheap eBay versions, which can be bought pre-painted in at least a close colour. I've done 4 of these at least, all still working years on. And they come with a hole saw included, so no extra costs for a punch either.

Andy G

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
I put an electromagnetic sensor in, it was expensive at the time, but there was no cutting or paint matching as it's a strip stuck on the inside of the bumper. If I didn't already have the reversing sensor fitted I would have put a reversing camera in instead.

617sqn

Aug 12, 2017
Using the information supplied, I paid a visit to our local scrappy today, and checked it all out on a silver car in the compound. Now looks to be an easy job once I've established which of the two black/blue cables is the right one. They ARE noticeably two different sizes. Thanks to all for their input. I'll report back on completion, in a fortnight's time. Can't tackle it prior to that.

Andy G

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.