Internal garage lighting

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Random one this.

Moved into another house just over a year ago and now trying to sort out the odd annoying small problems.

The garage is a decent sized double width one with two pendants shedding a pathetic amount of light. Forget trying to work in there.

The obvious option is to replace them with strips. I did that in the last place (a single garage) and it was great. However, every now and then I would hit the unit shifting stuff around busting covers/lamps etc and that makes one hell of a mess.

With the advent of the new and much improved LED units, is it worth going down this route and fitting those instead of traditional strips. Any unit could be mounted on the sides of joists for protection (pitched garage roof) rather than underneath the joist which would protect the units from potential damage.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers all

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
I've just put two 100w equivalent daylight LED bulbs in the pendants in my single garage and OMG what a difference.

Last edited:

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
After a bit of work lunchtime research, I came across these:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KBUCLED22.html

They look like they could do the job although 22 Watt LED works out to about 125 Watt in standard incandescent. I think they do about three or so lower wattage settings so would be more than adequate.

What makes these an even better proposition is that they are linkable with the connectors being up to a couple of quid or so depending on the length you want.

It is getting so dark now and was fumbling around in the garage last night messing about with the lawn mower.

Really need to get things sorted.

csx

Mar 13, 2017
Ive just helped a mate fit 600x600 led panels in his double garage.
4 units evenly spaced around.Fitted between the rafters. Its like walking into daylight !!
He had the same problem with tubes - bashing them out of there holders , the leds are totally flat and therefore cant get knocked.
They came off ebay - about £18 each with the led driver for them 42W and 6200 daylight colour.
Amazing difference !

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
I assume you are talking about something like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40W-Ceiling-Suspended-Recessed-LED-Panel-White-Light-Office-Salon-600-x-600-/291757870914?epid=1970590172&hash=item43ee1fcf42:g:N7MAAOSwV0RXqDwo

I have nothing in between the joists so would need to add a couple of battens per unit. Strips mounted on the side of the joists may work better for me.

Good to hear the positive result though.

Does your mate have electric garage doors? I don't think they will be an issue but there is a bit of gubbings up there (chain, motor and tracks etc). Will have to check it out first in case of potential fouling.

I got to say that crap lighting in a garage is a right pain in the proverbial.

csx

Mar 13, 2017
Thats the type. The ones he bought had 4 small L shape brackets/tabs to screw them to a flat ceiling. If you dont have a recess though , the issue would be where you put the LED driver module,its a kind of transformer for each lamp about 30mm thick , sized like a laptop charger.
But Im really thinking of putting them in my garage - you can buy a surface mount kit But there nearly as expensive as the lamps - about £12 . But for the light output - there excellent !

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
In the end I went for 48W LED Battens (5 ft) as they were inexpensive and readily available.

All I can say is big difference and wish I had done them earlier.

I went for a cool light as these generated 4500 lumens rather than warm light which were 500 lumens less.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise