Intermittent P2111 code, flashing orange light

Hojo

Feb 21, 2016
Hi

I have an intermittent flashing orange engine light on dash, looks like a coil shape. I haven't noticed any difference in engine response. I plugged in an obd2 reader and it gave me P2111 code - Throttle Actuator Control System Stuck Open.

Car is Mk5 Ibiza 1.6 tdi, late 2009 model.

What should I start with?

Was thinking of cleaning throttle valve but not sure if TDI has one or where it is?

Had the car in for emission fix in April, from day 1 it was rough at idle with revs dropping too low and engine rocking on mounts shaking the car, apparently that's how it is.

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
A google suggests cleaning and if that does not work, a replacement is required.

The diesel does have a throttle valve but it is for managing the flow for the EGR in this engine. It is located down by the EGR valve itself.

One thing to note, this WILL prevent the DPF regeneration from occurring, so avoid a lot of driving till this is fixed. As it is emissions related and you have had the fix, it may be worth talking to your dealer or SEAT UK.

Hojo

Feb 21, 2016
Thanks for reply.

I've done some more googling can get a complete throttle body for around £160, but not sure if it needs recalibrating.

I'm going to attempt a clean tomorrow, still not sure exactly where it is but will start at air filter/intake and work my way in.

Hojo

Feb 21, 2016
Hi,

I managed to get the throttle body off today, the butterfly valve was fully open and there was a fair amount of sludge that had set hard to the sides and on the butterfly valve. I cleaned it all up, however I did not attempt to move the valve as I read it would need recalibrating with vagcom.

Anyway, after erasing fault codes and short test drive the flashing orange light appeared again :( I can only guess the butterfly valve is ceased in open position and won't budge.

Not sure what to do now, buy a whole new throttle body and fit and hope it solves it or take to indy garage to do the same, then if still issues it's up to them to solve, but will cost me.
Anyone know if I fit new throttle body if it will need recalibrating with vagcom?

Hojo

Feb 21, 2016
Just an update on this, I managed to get hold of a refurbed Throttle Body, I swapped them over which has got rod of code P2111 - Throttle Actuator Control System Stuck Open.

However I now have code P0123 - Throttle Position Sensor/Switch 'A' Circuit High Input, I've checked all connections but nothing seems a miss. Any ideas? Could the new throttle body need recalibrating with VagCom? Anyone have any experience with this?

How serious is code P0123 - Will it cause any major issues ore prevent Regen?, earliest I can get it looked at is 8th January. Seems to be driving fine

Thanks

Last edited:

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
More than likely it needs re-calibrating if the wiring is fine.

Double check the part numbers between the two parts to see if they are the same.

Otherwise pop into a nice garage or post in the vagcom/VCDS section on here and ask the members

Hojo

Feb 21, 2016
Thanks, yeah part numbers are the exactly the same, I will post in the Vagcom/VCDS section.

Cheers

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.