Key fob problem need advice please

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
done that and changed them over,

so do I follow the instructions in the photos you posted to code the flip key to my car? and is it the flip key that goes into the ignition when coding it?

Last edited:

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Yes original key in the ignition as it has the transponder chip in it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
but the glass transponder chip has been taken from the original key and put in the flip key? and the original key has no original glass chip in it now

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
well been out and tried to code the flip key in the door and the old key in the ignition and it's not worked any ideals please??

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Hi.

Try this:

"I followed this and it didnt work, so i went to see a mate and followed AutoData's instructions as follows:
(Please Note Remote Coding Procedure Must be completed within 30 Seconds from switching on ignition)
1) Place original key (with transpoder on it) in ignition and switch ignition on
2) Put New keyFob in Drivers Door Lock
3) Manually Lock Drivers Door and hold for 6 seconds
4) With Unlock Button on keyfob pressed Manually unlock key and lock once more (ensuring button is continually pressed) My Horn sounded at this point
5) Unlock Car manually
6) Remove Key
7) Coding procedure will now be complete
8) Check fob buttons work ie lock and unlock

After Completing this i returned home and transferred the old transponder to my new fob and hey presto all hunky dory, put my blank transponder in old key incase i decide to get it coded in the future."

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
There are only four memory locations for keyfobs and if they are all full (if, for instance, someone has matched two new keys at times in the past) then , as far as I know, this procedure will not work. I would suggest putting a request into the VCDS section (or is it still called VAG-COM?) to ask if there is anyone close to you with full-spec VCDS who can help you clear out the memory locations and match your new key. Since the process clears out all the memorised key fobs, you will need to match *all* your existing keys again.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/vw-remote-matching.html

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Not true as I only had 1 transponder chip as my car only came with 1 key when i bought it which I put into the ignition whilst pairing the nearly cut unchipped flip key in the drivers door lock.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
The transponder chip only pairs with the immobiliser ring which is located around the ignition barrel.
Pairing the fob remote board to operate the locks is different.

Last edited:

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
It wont work full stop as it was the wrong key took it to get it sorted and the key guy showed me in person so looked at the ebay add and it does say right at the bottom 2000-2001 but I missed that bit :(

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
The transponder chip only pairs with the immobiliser ring which is located around the ignition barrel.
Pairing the fob remote board to operate the locks is different.

That's right. The transponder only alows you to start the car. When you are pairing the fob the transponder does nothing (except allow that key on the ignition to start process). The transponder is not cloned on that procedure. That's why you need to transfer it or then buy one.
There are transponders for sell on EBay for 3€ but they need to be coded at the dealer otherwise any fob from Ebay would start your car.

Regards.

joe-20vt-toledo

Mar 7, 2012
did you get this to work iv had my new ready cut flip key in the draw for a month as I couldn't get it to unlock the car with the remote?

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
No mate I got the wrong key mines a 2004 key I got was for a 2000-2001 I never seen that bit, I got some guy to sort it out for me in the end

Midlife_crisis

Jun 1, 2016
It's worth noting that Timpsons key cutting shops won't touch a customer's own blank keys as they can't guarantee the quality of the blank plus if it screws up their machines they're not covered.
Just find a little independent cobbler type shop and you'll be good to go.

Funny you should say that as I have just had my flip key, bought from ebay, cut at timpsons. I spoke to the guy about ebay keys as there was one place I tried that said they won't touch ebay keys and the reason is that some keys are not an alloy but steel and it does blunt their cutting tool which costs a lot more than what is charged to cut the key.