Issue with remote unlocking.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Morning All,

One issue on my new/old Cupra R is that the back 2 doors unlock and lock perfectly fine but my front doors lock fine but fail to open from the outside.

Then if I un lock with the key and open and close the door that door then works fine with locking and unlocking. It then gets weird as if I leave the car for a while or fold the mirrors in on the lock the front doors no longer work when unlocking.

This doesn't make sense to me as when I first looked at the car it was the front passenger and rear passenger door that didn't work but the driver side doors did but I then get it home and it's different doors that fail to open.

I went to the handbook to look at resyncing the key to the car but it suggests just a 2 step process which didn't work, I have then seen things on here suggesting a longer process which I can try today. If this fails to complete will that key then do nothing or will it just carry on as before?

I assume this could be an issue with the motor in the door but it's changed doors so I don't know how to diagnose it.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Update...

It seems my drivers door is now unlocking fine as well as the back 2 doors...

So just the front passenger door still not working...

Cheers

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
This is a common problem with this generation of VW lock modules, have a look at this video for a potential fix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWYkjlcR1Ws&feature=youtu.be

I will be trying this soon as my front passenger door only unlocks when it feels like it.

I have seen this video and thought it looked like a fix for something that just didn't work where as mine and yours it seems it is completely random if the door wants to unlock or not.

Would this be something that VCDS would be able to see going wrong? have you tried re pairing the fob to see if that does anything?

Cheers

Simon

Paulki

Jul 12, 2006
Enfield
Mine is less likely to unlock in cold weather, I presume due to the old dirty lubricant in the lock mechanism solidifying, in warmer weather it softens and the lock is more likely to open. By spraying WD40 into the mechanism it will soften/dilute the old lubricant and allow it to function...hopefully?

Can't hurt to give it a go and it's a lot cheaper than a new door lock?

BTW: There's nothing wrong with my key-fob and I don't recall seeing any faults logged for the central locking last time I scanned the system.