Cupra TDI Sump

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
Need some advice on replacing a sump please guys.

The drain plug has been crossed by some twit in the past and I will have to replace the sump.

There are plenty on ebay, new and used. Some of the new ones are great value at around £20!

Has anyone used one of these cheap new sumps? Or best to buy a second hand genuine part?

Also, any recommended sealants? Thanks

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Need some advice on replacing a sump please guys.

The drain plug has been crossed by some twit in the past and I will have to replace the sump.

There are plenty on ebay, new and used. Some of the new ones are great value at around £20!

Has anyone used one of these cheap new sumps? Or best to buy a second hand genuine part?

Also, any recommended sealants? Thanks

I've used an aftermarket sump before and it was fine.

Have you tried tapping the thread to clean it out? You could use ptfe tape to help with the seal.

I went to vw and got a sealant: DIRKO-ELRING-D176404A2 about £9 on the bay.

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
I haven't yet tried cleaning it out. I have a tap on the way which could help although a new sump bolt just would not even start! Being an ally sump I would guess saving it is a long shot but will give it a try.

That sealant is the one I was looking at lol. I got the part number from ETKA and it was the first one on ebay, just over £6 so will do me fine.

Thanks for your reply :)

clag

Dec 28, 2016
IMO youre best off going for a second hand replacement. to tap it properly youre looking at having to remove the sump anyway otherwise youll end up with small amounts of swarf inside which will at best eventually get into your oil pump.

the cheap ebay ones may well be ok, but a second hand genuine you know it has been fitted to a car before.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
How about a helicoil? I don't know how practical it would be in this particular useage, but it could be worth a try, and not need the sump removing. Much less swarf generation, and in any case, swarf in the sump will be filtered out by the mesh screen or the oil filter itself.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
How can you guarantee that a second-hand sump will not have the threads crossed also :shrug:
I would go for new part, TPS or even a hybrid shallow sump (as I've got) :D

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
How can you guarantee that a second-hand sump will not have the threads crossed also :shrug:
I would go for new part, TPS or even a hybrid shallow sump (as I've got) :D

I had a look on ETKA and the sump is £175!! Haven't rang TPS yet but can't see it being less than £120.

How much was your shallow one?

Gaz20VT

Aug 5, 2011
How about a helicoil? I don't know how practical it would be in this particular useage, but it could be worth a try, and not need the sump removing. Much less swarf generation, and in any case, swarf in the sump will be filtered out by the mesh screen or the oil filter itself.

Not good to use the mesh screen or the oil filter to catch the drilling/tapping swarf - the mesh will only catch a certain amount, and the oil filter is after the oil pump.
You're better off dropping the oil and using grease in the flutes of the tap to catch as much swarf as possible, then flush the sump out a couple of times (e.g. flood it with brake cleaner or similar solution in through the sump plug hole). It might be nearly as easy to remove the sump and re-install it.

Last edited:

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Personally I’d seal the current bolt in with PTF tape/Mastic and use a vacuum extractor for the oil changes.

I’ve been using one for last 4 years on my TDI since I’m getting too old/lazy to go crawling under the car.

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
Thanks bruceR

I might get it off and try a running a tap through it - it's only going to cost some oil and some sealant

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
A bodge mechanic didn't tell me and screwed the thread on my sump and put it back using chemical metal, it lasted for about 2 months. He denied all knowledge and liability for it. Jez of Westerham you're a ****.

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
Time for an update.

The sump bolt was bodged, I haven't had time to clean up the old one and see how badly but either very badly stripped the thread or used some sort of insert as the thread is 'hanging out'. Will investigate when I have time.

I decided to replace the sump with a brand new one. The ones on eBay looked OK as did the ones on ECP but non-branded items have bit me in the past so I decided to go with a Febi one. £44.45 delivered on Amazon, the sump was a perfect fit and lined up as good as the original.

The two hidden bolts on the gearbox side were a pain, especially to put back but I managed it. You really need a hex (5mm or 6mm can't remember) to get it started or even a long Torx30 will work and then you can slip a 10mm socket on it. The parts I used were

Sump £44.45

Gasket seal £6.30

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
Well another result.

I went back to the garage that caused this, be it over a year ago and they agreed to offer me credit. They have changed ownership since but agreed that no one has touched the car since and what I said made sense.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.