RECALL: Brake Servo Hose

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
BMcN said:
I'll give my dealer a call and see what this letter is about. Its dated the start of December so it can't be that much of a risk! :hide:

The image taken earlier in this thread looks just like the pipe that failed on my Leon. See THIS THREAD detailing that issue (and subsequent recall which is coming) and the effect you get when the pipe splits. :(

As I suspected at the time, it appears this pipe is used on other models.... like the Ibiza. :)

The replacement will be similar.

As far as I can see, this is a heat-shrunk hose. Looks like a dodgy batch where the heat-shrink process has been excessive, and the life of the component compromised. This would tie in with the fact that the recalls are manufacture-date-specific, and that the replacement bits are "the same but slightly bigger".

BMcN

Mr. Car Carer
Well the pipe in question (in that picture) is not really enough to cause anything dangerous to happen. It will just start to draw air in and cause the brakes to feel very hard - at which time you should stop. Guess it may not be too handy if your on the motorway.

speedsix

Leon Cupra R 225
Oct 30, 2004
I suppose there's no way of telling if the pipe I had replaced is the larger one or not and I don't suppose Seat would pay out for one that was replaced a few k miles ago either.

flashbsd

Good to know i wasnt going round the bend! thanks for confirming BMcN :)

Redcupra20vt

Jan 9, 2004
kent
Visit site
Just spoke to SEAT UK. looks like it may have to be changed on mine.

I am taking it to the dealers in the next couple of days for them to check it. but to be honest, if they cant prove it has been done then i want it changed.

Paul

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
BMcN said:
Well the pipe in question (in that picture) is not really enough to cause anything dangerous to happen. It will just start to draw air in and cause the brakes to feel very hard - at which time you should stop. Guess it may not be too handy if your on the motorway.

Brakes don't go hard ~ you lose the servo assistance so you're directly connected.

I wouldn't have thought this would be the end of the world either as I've driven several cars with no servo assistance. No servo and failed servo are different things however.

I can confirm that it's not good at all :no: . Maybe the lighter Beezer would be slightly better, but the Leon required major leg effort to bring it to a halt. I got a real fright, and there is no way my wife would have been able to press hard enough to trigger the ABS ......

If you're taking your car in anyway you can cut yours on the way in and see for yourself. :p

Redcupra20vt

Jan 9, 2004
kent
Visit site
mik said:
Brakes don't go hard ~ you lose the servo assistance so you're directly connected.

I wouldn't have thought this would be the end of the world either as I've driven several cars with no servo assistance. No servo and failed servo are different things however.

I can confirm that it's not good at all :no: . Maybe the lighter Beezer would be slightly better, but the Leon required major leg effort to bring it to a halt. I got a real fright, and there is no way my wife would have been able to press hard enough to trigger the ABS ......

If you're taking your car in anyway you can cut yours on the way in and see for yourself. :p

i know what you mean. My old A reg polo didnt have a servo and the brakes where very heavy compared to modern cars. I dread to think what it would be like to stop a LEON with out the servo assistance.

Russ_20vt

Kitesurfing nut
Feb 4, 2005
T,Wells. Kent.
Sounds worrying this, just brought my cupra the other week. How could i find out if mine has been replaced or if it needs to be? Has anyone got any contact numbers for Seat uk? and can ijust ring up with my car details?

Thanks

Russell

flashbsd

turn you engine off and ignition, roll down a hill and try to brake. see how hard it is?

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
Just to clarify things. The servo pipe will not be replaced on any of your cars, only repaired if it is cracked, if its not cracked then it is unlikely to crack in the future. I know this because iam a seat technician. Checked mine today and its fine.

BMcN

Mr. Car Carer
cupra_matt said:
Just to clarify things. The servo pipe will not be replaced on any of your cars, only repaired if it is cracked, if its not cracked then it is unlikely to crack in the future. I know this because iam a seat technician. Checked mine today and its fine.

As I mentioned before, my dealer is going to change the pipe regardless of condition. Mine is wrecked anyway.

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
I phoned my dealer today and he says if I haven't had a letter then I don't need it changing...

This doesn't seem a good way to deal with a brake related problem....what if your letter doesn't arrive and with todays high class mail who's to say it will...

Do you then drive round in blissfull ignorance till it fails?

As for losing the servo leaving you with 'normal' unservoed braking...this is nonsense..

The brake system will be designed to work with BOTH together..if it wasn't going to be servoed in the first place then a different master cylinder would have been used from scratch to get managable braking effort.

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
Dont worry. There was a faulty batch made between certain chassis ranges.

And if your dealer replace the whole pipe they wont be able to claim, and will end up forking out for it them selves, But good for you getting new one.

They should be repaired with rubber sleeves and clips on any cracked joins.

BMcN

Mr. Car Carer
mark sheerin said:
As for losing the servo leaving you with 'normal' unservoed braking...this is nonsense..

The brake system will be designed to work with BOTH together..if it wasn't going to be servoed in the first place then a different master cylinder would have been used from scratch to get managable braking effort.

Not handy when the Ibiza's and Leons also have weak pedals! :whistle:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.