Help Please 150 FR Intercooler pipe popping off

emotionred

Hi all

I have been searching the forum and have found quite few posts regarding the above problem but no definitive solution.
A few days ago I was hammering along quite nicely on a dual carriageway and the was a loud pop followed by a loss of power and lots of smoke.
Limped to my local spanner man and he found that the pipe had popped off the passenger side link to the intercooler. The retaining clip had snapped and the plastic outlet on the intercooler had split.
He jury rigged a fix with a jubilee clip that got me through the weekend but on the way to work this morning it popped off again.

What parts do I need to fix this? the mechanic thinks I need a new intercooler as the outlet pipe that is spilt is part of it. I really need my car for work and can't afford to go to town on too many expensive upgrades - I have a custom code stage 1 remap but that's enough for me.

Is there anything that can be done without replacing the intercooler? If not where can I get one? Looking at the the other threads this is a known weakness so there must be a solution out there.

Any help much appreciated.

PS - Just moved house so no internet untill friday - can only use at work after hours for research - which is why I cannot search the whole forum - tired need to limp to garage now :D

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
You will need a new cooler by the sounds of it or a second hand one.
The pipe from seat which I believe is about £40.
Not sure about the cooler second hand try motors in motion at worksop they will mail out.
Glynn

dfullb

Apr 7, 2009
You could fit a silicon hose as a replacement & have the hose fit over the intercooler outlet, trouble is, as you know, they are plastic :( So you are limited to how much clamping pressure you can apply.

You could bond the hose on, But again, It's a bit Heath Robinson & how long would it last !!,
If you plan on keeping the car, the best fix is a new Intercooler & hose, You may be lucky & get one off here from someone who has upgraded to an after market one ..
Or just go the after market route yourself.

Dean

emotionred

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have been really hoping to avoid a new intercooler - seems a waste of money when just a small piece of plastic is broken. I have been trawling the forums for a solution and came across some threads regarding a set of clamps that SFS performance have been developing. Uncle fester has mentioned them a few times as he was helping with development but I could not find any recent news on seatcupra net.

I found a recent thread on uk-mkivs which has some good pictures but when I rang the company it seems they have reached the point where they have finished development but need more interest from prospective customers before they will commit to production.

it's really frustrating that the soultion to my problem is so near but not quite there yet.

I have not posted enough to be able to post a link to the uk-mkivs thread but if anyone is interested its in the sfs performance section.

it looks like the problem I have is pretty common so I'm surprised there is such a lack of interest - it would only take about 10 people to express interest for them to make them so if anyone out there would like to see these get made then register your interest on the uk-mkivs forum post.

dieselhead1

Hi, you might want to take a look at THIS product but they don't expand/ contract very much so you will need the right size +/- 5mm

Thurman

Jan 28, 2008
Common problem with the OEM pipes I understand. Due maily to poor design. There is a group buy situation on another forum which will hopefully address this, but it is for a mk 4 tdi ibiza. Mine is currently being held with cable ties:(

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.