Listers - Parts

Go Back   SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum » SEAT Model Specific Discussion Forum includes Members Projects » Leon » Leon Mk2

Leon Mk2 For all topics relating to the Mk2 Leon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 18:27   #41
andypower

andypower has 10 points
I managed to get those clips out.

When I popped the scuttle off they were still in but i got a screw driver and managed to get both of them out. And sealed them with sealant.

Since it rained again I checked towel again I'm not certain but water rolls onto the battery cover and intake when you lift the bonnet

Next thing I'm going to do is use black or clear sealant on the gap between scuttle and bonnet from the top. See how that goes
Old 03-11-2014, 20:32   #42
JMF894

JMF894 has 10 points
What are the symptoms of a leaky scuttle?

My 08 FR is steaming up badly inside at the moment but I have just checked the under bonnet sound proofing and though it seems to be sagging it feels dry.

Jimbo
04 Furby new to 170K in 10 years 04 Leon Cupra TDI Revo Stage 1 04 Mk1 Octavia vRS Revo stage 1 42-130k in 5 years Now 08 Leon FR TDI 170 candy white BTCC adaptive auto xenons parking sensors heated seats bluetooth shadow chrome black 18's auto wipers dual exhaust
JMF894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 20:55   #43
locky

locky has 20 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by andypower View Post
I managed to get those clips out.

When I popped the scuttle off they were still in but i got a screw driver and managed to get both of them out. And sealed them with sealant.

Since it rained again I checked towel again I'm not certain but water rolls onto the battery cover and intake when you lift the bonnet

Next thing I'm going to do is use black or clear sealant on the gap between scuttle and bonnet from the top. See how that goes

Ok, the fact the water poured out the back it proves you have sealed the drain holes and clip holes successfully OR the collected water wasnt high enough to go over the turrets and leak out the clip holes.

In my opinion trying to seal the edge nearest the windscreen is futile.

What I recommend, if your seals into the engine bay are good is to simply be careful when you lift the bonnet.
If you go just above the horizontal, the water 'should' naturally drain away from the far left and right corners like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMF894 View Post
What are the symptoms of a leaky scuttle?

My 08 FR is steaming up badly inside at the moment but I have just checked the under bonnet sound proofing and though it seems to be sagging it feels dry.

Jimbo
I dont think this one is linked to the windsceen misting up.
But ive seen a few threads about it, so have a bit of a search and you might find it.

Last edited by locky; 03-11-2014 at 20:57.
locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 20:58   #44
andypower

andypower has 10 points
Is yours sealed now locky?
Old 03-11-2014, 22:21   #45
locky

locky has 20 points
None Into the engine bay as long as i dont lift the bonnet fully, otherwise it pours out the back and all over the coils and battery.

I did put rubber strips around to try and stop water getting in - it didnt work and thats why I took it off, sealed the holes, made sure the plastic washer clips were as tight as possible and then put the strip back on.
Seeing as it doesnt leak into the engine anymore, and the water drains out the back safely if I lift it carefully, im happy not to take the thing off again!

Just when I let the engine warm up a bit, I pop the bonnet and drain any collected.
Guess if you park uphill you wont even get this problem

Last edited by locky; 03-11-2014 at 22:23.
locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 10:39   #46
KebabWarrior81

KebabWarrior81 has 10 points
Hi STU3Y, Great guide recently changed my 170 FR (I hate dpf's lol) purchased a 2008 Cupra that has had the tpi job done by the stealership it has worked to a certain degree. Bonnet lining is bone dry even after heavy rain but sp has a small amount of mold so got a new one from seat.

My question is has the isoflex liquid rubber helped as the sp was only £45 is it worth paying for this to apply on the back of it is it something you would recommend.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards

Craig.
KebabWarrior81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 13:31   #47
STU3Y

STU3Y has 10 points
Unfortunately my scuttle is still leaking. I think Its cos I didn't seal the two drain holes. Either way I would say its beneficial to paint the rear with isoflex, however if yours isn't leaking then you probably don't need to worry.
STU3Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 13:53   #48
KebabWarrior81

KebabWarrior81 has 10 points
Sorry to hear it's still leaking. Blooming nightmare mate stupid design to be honest.Thank you for your reply I appreciate it as the existing sp has been on for nearly two years the mild is nothing compared to my fr. So will prob isoflex the new one for the cupra and see how it goes.

Want to save funds for a revo stage 1

Thanks again

Craig
KebabWarrior81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 19:13   #49
STU3Y

STU3Y has 10 points
Give it a few coats for best results
STU3Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 17:06   #50
PAULTDI67

PAULTDI67 has 10 points
Well tis along time since reading this but tis finally done &it don't leak been without any sound deadening pad since last service in August (just to make sure )but since Christmas it's been pissin down. So what've I done? process is pretty much the same as in first post but bonnet's a bit different on post f/l (not as many holes )I took scuttle off&scraped all the foam stuff off replaced with silicone sealant both on back of the plastic panel&on the bonnet best to remove the nozzle from sealant tube&run bead slightly in from edge (around the clip holes )so when you put the scuttle back on the sealant don't squeeze out DON'T FORGET TO RECONNECT THE WASHER JETS but then it was still getting wet a quick look revealed it to be coming through a hole in the middle of the D shape in the bonnet so I've put some sealant over this &now it's dry
On my car the oil filler cap would be full of water
Old 07-02-2018, 23:38   #51
Carz

Carz has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULTDI67 View Post
Well tis along time since reading this but tis finally done &it don't leak been without any sound deadening pad since last service in August (just to make sure )but since Christmas it's been pissin down. So what've I done? process is pretty much the same as in first post but bonnet's a bit different on post f/l (not as many holes )I took scuttle off&scraped all the foam stuff off replaced with silicone sealant both on back of the plastic panel&on the bonnet best to remove the nozzle from sealant tube&run bead slightly in from edge (around the clip holes )so when you put the scuttle back on the sealant don't squeeze out DON'T FORGET TO RECONNECT THE WASHER JETS but then it was still getting wet a quick look revealed it to be coming through a hole in the middle of the D shape in the bonnet so I've put some sealant over this &now it's dry
On my car the oil filler cap would be full of water
Noticed same issue with my Leon- wet/mouldy bonnet cover AND water accumulating on the oil cap. Seat refuse to acknowledge the TPi number i found on here too. Did some testing and found that water was leaking through the drain hole next to the middle scuttle clip (as seen from under the bonnet). Water was dripping through the same clip as well. From what i can see from the wet patch of the bonnet cover, this is where the culprit is. Would sealing this middle clip and the drain hole next to it sort this out you think or is there anything else I should do? Thanks!
Carz is offline   Reply With Quote