'Orange Engine' warning light

I thought I'd take advantage of today's gap in the 'barbecue summer' rain to take my car for a (hand) car wash on my lunch break from work.

On the way, I noticed a little orange engine symbol appear on the speedo. With some older cars, I've just stopped and car and restarted it and 9/10 times, the light hasn't come back. But today it came back on even after my FR TFSI had been parked for a while to be washed, dried and hoovered. The car seems to be driving fine - I didn't noticed any odd events that caused it either. No hiccups, hesitating or that sort of thing.

I called my local Seat dealer and have it booked in for next Tuesday to let them have a look. The workshop chap I spoke to said that if it's driving OK it should be fine to carry on using it as it's probably just a faulty sensor.

The car's only done 5.8k miles so it's a bit of a shock to see a warning light. I haven't (yet) got vag-com, although I might consider getting it one day especially if this starts happening outside warranty.

Anybody fancy guessing what might be the problem? If you turn out to be right after I've had it seen to next week then you can feel smug - no prizes on offer I'm afraid. ;)

Ta for the responses. I checked the oil yesterday afternoon and it was a bit low, so topped up by half a litre and the light went out. Guess I should check it more often! I'll still keep my appt with Willoughby's though, as I'm hoping they'll work out how to install an update for the Bluetooth system.

Bretty

May 21, 2008
Lancashire
My light has been on twice in the last month. Both times back to the dealers , two separate sensor faults both times. My warranty runs out in December and i'm worried

mikependleton

i had the engine sensor light, followed 15 minutes later by the dpf light, then the filter light & limp mode. Hobin Preston had it for 4 hours, where they did a software update and regenerated the dpf which was 58% full. No problems since then, and it goes quicker now. I had the software update confirmed by my local VW dealer who do my service.

MATT'88

Selling Leon 170 TDI
Oct 19, 2008
ESSEX
Mine is also on (FR TDI) took it 2 seat and they said if it orange and driving okay then book it in when you can. But if it red then dnt drive it as will do damage to the engine.?? ALTHO i dnt rate my local seat. Cant wait to move to hertford on 28th aug.!!!

Well Willoughby Seat (very local to my work) had it all day yesterday, but said they couldn't find a problem and the light was probably on due to a 'sensor responding too slow for the computer'... the light hadn't been on at all since that day last week, so I assumed it was a one-off.

Of course, due to Sod's Law, the light came back on during my commute home - and stayed on this morning - so it's back with Willoughby's today. Hopefully this time they'll be able to find out what's up as the light was still lit when I left it with them.

Maybe I should have booked it in at GK in Derby and made sure I got a courtesy car to get to work? Hmmm... :confused:

When I called at 5pm to check what was up, the nice receptionist lass explained that I should have had a call to say that they found it needed a lambda sensor. The part was on order and I've now got my car back (with the light still on) until they call me to say the part is in. Feels like progress is being made, at least. :)

JKCupra

When I called at 5pm to check what was up, the nice receptionist lass explained that I should have had a call to say that they found it needed a lambda sensor. The part was on order and I've now got my car back (with the light still on) until they call me to say the part is in. Feels like progress is being made, at least. :)

Did changing the sensor sort the problem out?

Sorry, only just seen this and I have an update.

My car went in the next week after my last post and had its lambda sensor changed. The orange engine light didn't reappear...

Until one day last week. The light came on while driving (I might have noticed a slight stutter/hesitation but if so it was very subtle). It went off the next morning so I thought I'd ignore it.

Well, the light came back on on Saturday and has been on since. :(

I called Willoughby's this morning and my car's booked in for Thursday. Surely it can't be the sensor going again so quickly? Any other theories?

JKCupra

Sorry, only just seen this and I have an update.

My car went in the next week after my last post and had its lambda sensor changed. The orange engine light didn't reappear...

Until one day last week. The light came on while driving (I might have noticed a slight stutter/hesitation but if so it was very subtle). It went off the next morning so I thought I'd ignore it.

Well, the light came back on on Saturday and has been on since. :(

I called Willoughby's this morning and my car's booked in for Thursday. Surely it can't be the sensor going again so quickly? Any other theories?

having brought my own code reader mine was found to be the water temp sensor, changed that for 15 pounds no more problem.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.