guide for doing pd 150 timing belt??

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
Hi guys, for a few months now my temperature needle has had a mind of its own doing what it wants whenever it wanted, got myself to the dealers for a new temperature sensor and went ahead and changed it.

Unfortunatley i lost quite a lot of coolant trying to remove the old "O" ring so had to refill the expansion bottle, since then (3 days ago) i have had nothing but problems with what i thought was air in the system.
System seems to self bleed with hot air coming through the heater and water re-entering the expansion bottle via the top pipe, ( not as fast flowing as my mates) however i have noticed that the lower radiator hose is no where near as hot as the top hose and when the car is driven under load the temp needle shoots up to 120 degrees.

I have read loads of threads saying this is classic water pump failure, it just seems too much of a coincidence considering there was nothing wrong before i lost the coolant.

I have decided to change the water pump and timing belt but won't be able to get it done till middle of next week when parts arrive, in the meantime i wondered if anybody knows of a how to guide to doing the timing belt? , ive found a few guides on the 1.8t but nothing for the pd 150, any help will be much appreciated

Cheers

robepton

Practical performance!!!!
Dec 27, 2008
peterborough
Have you tried squeezing the pipes. It could be enough to push the air pockets out. It should feel softer if the pipe got air in it.

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
They are a pain in the arse mate as you have to work around a loose engine mount because its nion impossible to remove without removing the belt first, also putting the belt back on is difficult because they are so tight, i did mine at work the other week, replaced the waterpump whilst i was in also.

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
Just to let you know all went well and it was the water pump that had given up. couldn't manage to remove the engine mount either:(
cheers for the help :)

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
yes, changed the belt, tensioner, roller and water pump, took me around 4 hours includeing my dinner :D reckon i could do it in an hour now that i know what i'm doing ;)

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Richy, it appears you may have Private Messaging turned off, or have not got the required number of posts in the required forums to receive Private Messages.

Dyscontinued, sent you a pm.

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Yeah man got it cheers. I'll see where I'm at when it needs doing in....53,000ish miles. Looks prety complicated.

I reckon if people knew it was on another forum and finable on google we might save you some time sending pms.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.