Arosa 1.0mpi timing belt or chain?

jug

Hi everyone. I've just bought a 1997 seat arosa 1.0mpi for my girlfriend's sister. it is on 70k and i'm guessing its uses a timing belt rather than a chain. can anyone confirm that? if it has one, whats the recommended service interval for the belt? is the belt easy to change? as the engine is a sohc it should be easy enough to do, and i'm assuming that by 70k it needs changing.

also the digital display shows the service interval light. i'm going to service it myself, so how do i switch the light off once its been serviced? i know on vw's there is usually a button press sequence to clear it, i guess been a seat there is a similar process i can use?

any advice very gratefully recieved. thanks

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
Its needed to be done at 60k or 6 years, some people recommend 40k/4 years. You'd als be best to change the water pump at the same time as they can break.

Can't tell you anything about changing them though, that was something I got the garage to do.

There is a sequece - I think its 'press and hold trip button - turn ignition to on - wait until display clears - let go and switch off' . If its not that, then its very similar and a bit of playing will get it :)

jug

thanks for that. i've found the timing belt, should have guessed straight away by the plastic cover. it looks like a piece of cake to change compared to other car's i've done. good old vw engineering always makes sense.

and the service reset worked thanks !!!!

jug

it has full service history, all done at the dealer till 45k, then local garages to 70k. but there's no reciepts for any work done. a visual inspection of the belt suggests it has been changed, it certainly doesn't look like a belt that has done 70k. i've suggested she leaves it till xmas (because i dont have the time) but its getting changed over the xmas hols, better safe than sorry.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise