ODBeleven and VAGCOM beginner questions.

YorkshirePud

Apr 1, 2017
Merseyside
Morning folks.

I hear a lot of talk while trawling the forum and other facebook pages about OBDeleven and VAGCOM, now i understand the fundamental differences between the two. OBDeleven is an app and bluetooth dongle and VAGCOM is PC software with the data cable. But i wonder is there anything else wildly different?

As someone who just does very basic maintenance on the car at home, what would be suitable for? I tend to get the car serviced by someone else, garage etc. but if there are other jobs im confident to have a go at ill give them a go.

my 2014 Leon SC isnt even out of its warranty yet but im just anticipating if there are things i can diagnose or change myself. From what i have gathered myself so far as a bit of a noob. It seems OBDeleven would be best for me?

Can i reset service indicators with it? i had the cars service period changed from variable to fixed so i gather that cannot be changed by the owner.

apologies if i am asking questions that have been asked before i have had a good search but im looking for individual opinions as well. Cheers :thumbup:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I'd say around £250 is the difference. :D

But seriously, apps like OBDeleven are designed to simplify the common tasks you might do with your car. Scan for codes, mess around with the MFD, etc. I personally use Torque. And it was great the other day when the CEL came on and I could get an instant code reading.

I bought Vagcom when I was having troubles previously. Just to set the scene, I design computer software for a living and have a degree in computer science. I opened up the software and I was almost in tears. It was really overwhelming. Loads of options I didn't understand. It wasn't just as simple as, I'll quickly check if I have a misfire.

I read loads of guides and spent many hours messing around with it and now I'm happy finding my way round it... but... it still requires knowing what you are looking at. I can eg chuck up a graph of fuel rail pressure requested vs actual. But when your sitting looking at the graph, its not always obvious whats going on or why. I had to log loads of graphs and send them off to my local mechanics for help (which drove them nuts).

Personally, I'd get an app like Torque or OBDeleven and enjoy it. Buy, rent or borrow Vagcom when you have a random issue with no apparent cause that no garage can find.

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
I'm a little fuzzy too... I purchased an Obd2 adaptor and the torque pro app for my last car. Toyota Auris. Is there a difference between this and an OBDeleven adaptor. Do I need to buy this to use on the Leon... And if so would it work with my torque pro app?

I'm asking because I've read on the forums people having trouble resetting the service indicator that pops up... Like many others I will be doing my own oil changes etc. And would like to reset the service reminders.... Can this be done with my obd2? Or do I need OBDeleven?

Thanks in advance....

Deleted member 103408

OBD11 dongle only support OBD11 App,

For me the big difference is VCDS is for Pro guys who do lots of cars / retrofit type work, I have seen a few comments on here form dedicated VCDS people saying that they now use OBD11 because its easier.

I prefer OBD11 but they do not have the team behind them like VCDS so support is poor but the product is still IMHO very good and great for both new users and more techy people.

I see that VCDS are now offering a 3 VIN License for a lower price as well.

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
Have OBD11 and it's very good, does probably everything VCDS can. Very portable not needing to carry round laptops. OBD11 does need a connection to the internet to get the information. VCDS helps you a bit more with what boxes you can tick etc but there are auto options with the app.

Deleted member 103408

and just to add OBD11 have now added in Label descriptions so over time its going to get easier to use long coding or basic settings

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.