Power Steering Warning Light - Help !!! (I know I'm not the first)

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Hi, do you have vcds?

Check the coding of the pump, it should be X12XX, if not change it.

X01XX for G250
X12XX for G85

PS: keep the X numbers, it should be someting like 10111 or 11211...

If the coding is correct, you will need to replace the pump.

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Maybe save doing that for later, I can't see that the reading codes with an "older" scan tool would have ended up recoding that pump. Recoding does take some effort just in case the user has made a mistake.

gordonmcmorran

Jun 4, 2016
thanks dm222, for the coding numbers to check, as I am new to using the vcds software could you please give me a step by step guide as it would be very much appreciated ( a bit scared of mucking it up altogether) as I do have power steering but it just doesn,t feel right the warning light will not go off. every days a school day and all that.
do you have any ideas why it is flagging up G250 and not G85 as it should be. cheers.

Last edited:

gordonmcmorran

Jun 4, 2016
thanks again RUM4MO I will check the coding first as dm222 has said and post my findings to see what other recommendations I get, do you have any other ideas why the vcds is flagging up G250 instead of G85 as it should be.

gordonmcmorran

Jun 4, 2016
Many thanks to dm222, I put in the coding for the G85 sensor as above and he-presto the steering wheel warning lamp has gone.

The next problem I find myself with is the radio is completely dead not even lighting up I checked the coding for the radio and it is all zeros, could you please help me out once more by providing me with the vcds software coding not the security code I have that .for the standard radio in a 2012 Ibiza fr . cheers .and thanks again.

Last edited:

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
pre or post facelift?

PS: didn't know it's the FR, then your original steering pump coding is 11221. you wont feel much difference to 11211 tough

Last edited:

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Usually VCDS pops up a little help window to show you how to figure out the coding number, have you tried hovering over the code window to see if anything appears?

oli

Jan 21, 2017
Hi all, resurrecting a couple of month old thread, as it's seemed more appropriate than starting a new one.

My power steering has stopped working, I've had it diagnosed and also looked into myself, and I'm fairly certain the pump has gone.

It's a 2007 1.2 3door 6L, the part number on the original part on the car is 6Q0423156AB. A lot of the second hand and reconditioned parts have fundamentally the same part number, but start with 6R (rather than 6Q) and finish with B or C (rather than AB).

Does anyone know if these parts will still fit and work on my car?

Any help would be much appreciated, don't really fancy paying for a new part!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Personally, I'd be very suspicious of fitted any 6R0 identified parts to your car - that is unless you have researched this and made very sure that they are okay to use.

There is an outside chance that some design changes have been made to what was originally a 6Q0 identified part - and the first platform it was used on in factory was the 6R0 platform, ie early "new" Polo - I have seen this in the past where or when I owned a 2000 VW Passat 4Motion and the front flexible brake pipes were updated after that car went out of production, but Skoda were still building the Superb, in that case the first part of the part identifier became whatever the Skoda Superb platform was. So it can happen and be okay, but research it first, maybe look up an on-line VAG parts catalogue for proof of compatibility - bear in mind, if that part is okay, you should not be able to buy the 6Q0 parts new from a dealer. There are "rebuilders" or "remanufacturers" of these assembles available and on-line, if you can afford to have the car off the road for a few days.

If in real doubt, phone your local SEAT main dealer's parts department to clear that up.

Edit:- as well as clearing up your doubt about the suffix's available.

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland

Yes, I've just been checking up on that "6Q0" stopped being used in late 2007 and so changed to "6R0" - so it is just down to checking the suffix's A B C etc.

Edit:- from the links above it went from A to B to C and the change dates and so the rough age of parts can be gauged from the factory change dates,

Last edited:

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
RUM4MO: The suffixs are revisions, in total there are around 20 revisions of this pump.

6Q0423156AB -> 6Q0423156AE -> 6R0423156->6R0423156A -> 6R0423156B -> 6R0423156C

My car has now the C version.

Oli: You will probably need to code the new pump, save the coding of your old pump before removing and apply that coding on the new pump.

Last edited:

lil3520

IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08
Nov 26, 2006
ALCESTER, WARWICKSHIRE
I have had a similar problem.
Earlier this week came back from Nottingham. Parked car outside house.
1 hr later started car up, power steering light came, no power steering. Managed to park on drive.
Bloody hard steering with no power steering !!!!
3 hrs later went out to car and started it up, power steering light had gone. Turned steering wheel, powering steering working.
Will not drive it until it has been checked.
Any ideas what happened ?

Andy

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
could be the battery, alternator or a faulty power steering pump.

I had problems with mine twice and both times was intermitent at first and then failed for good.

Last edited:

oli

Jan 21, 2017
Hi all,

Going to attempt to change the PAS pump myself on my Ibiza.

Does anyone know how much power steering fluid I'll need to buy to replace and rebleed the fluid once changed? I believe they are in 1 litre bottles.

Many thanks, Oli

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Hi all,

Going to attempt to change the PAS pump myself on my Ibiza.

Does anyone know how much power steering fluid I'll need to buy to replace and rebleed the fluid once changed? I believe they are in 1 litre bottles.

Many thanks, Oli

The system takes 0,8L so buy 2L if you want to flsuh more than once.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.