Cupra R or Cupra TDI

MrTs_Cupra

Just weighing up the pro's and con's on owning both.....was looking at getting a Leon Cupra TDI but now I'm wondering whether to just get the Leon Cupra R.

Any opinions or views will be gladly appreciated.

Also, what the difference between the Cupra and the FR??

Please excuse the newbie!!

tedvagas

Nov 5, 2006
cleveland
i have both lcr and a se110 tdi
the lcrs mapped and its a nightmare on fuel
the tdi is smooth and good on fuel

hope this helps:cartman:

Jayt

Oct 5, 2007
i have a FR+ tdi, and you get all the looks of the cupra with some of the fun as the tdi is no slouch... plus its cheaper to run, i'm getting about 500 miles to a tank full.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
I'm a biased diesel fan, but i'm not going to say get the diesel just because i own one.
There are a few factors to consider first.
Annual milage. Anything below 15k isn't going to see much in the way of big savings.
Insurance. Age and location depending, the Cupra R might be a bit too expensive to insure, but the TDI is a Group 13 so should save money.
What do you want from the car? Diesels have a lot to offer, but if your Rev happy then a petrol will always win. If you prefer a god kick in the back from a torquey engine, diesel is the way forward.
Worth remembering that even if your milage is low, the TDI will be roughly the same expense if not slightly cheaper to run, and can be remapped to a good figure that gives LCR's a run for their money ;)
Test drive them both and see how you feel.

gazb1409

i would go for the tdi 150 over any petrol car these are really quick and cheap to run the best car i have ever driven loadsa fun

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
i have a FR+ tdi, and you get all the looks of the cupra with some of the fun as the tdi is no slouch... plus its cheaper to run, i'm getting about 500 miles to a tank full.

Yep, agreed! Got one, its great, wifes loves it!!! :D Don't know about the 500 miles bit, lucky to see 400, but the wife is a header behind the wheel so......

As daveonthemove says - try both.

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
Depends on mileage you cover,i would say if you do over 15k then LCR could be expensive on fuel,i had remapped fabia VRS,around 180hp,it did 50mpg and was a quick car,best of both worlds really,performance and economy,but remapped LCR is much faster and gives me a bigger smile,but you have to live with v[power prices and 30mpg.

caveo

You buy a cupra for one reason,,, PERFORMANCE!!! so its petrol all the way. You can get quite good mpg if you drive out of the turbo zone and have quite a punch when the mood takes you.

lard44

Watching C beams...
Apr 30, 2007
Braintree, Essex
I had the same debate last year to face.

The Diesel was about £500+ more expensive for a like-for-like car, but obviously better mpg. At the same time diesel's more expensive at the pump, so as has already been said the savings in fuel won't be huge. Insurance could be a concern, but how much do you want that R badge?

I went at it from a standpoint of performance - I was going to get a remap no matter what, but the petrol was always going to be 60+ bhp faster. And that's a LOT of bang for your buck.

And you won't annoy the neighbours with a cloud of soot every morning, nor would you sound like a tank coming!

I wanted to own a hot-hatch once in my life and the Cupra R was it. I can see myself going back to a diesel (having previously owned a PD 130 Ibiza) - maybe even a beezer, but I'm loving every second of my petrol Cupra-R ownership. You know you want to...

caveo

lard44 dont let T SPARK hear you say such things hes very touchy bout his diesel and diesels in general.

toppa33

Petrol all day

Gotta go for the petrol - I've got a tdi cupra after having a petrol - it's just not a cupra even if th ebadge says it is.

olaf

Dodo Lover!!
Aug 19, 2006
Ipswich
As has been said, test drive both. Both have their good and bad points.

The FR+ is a good halfway house, looks of the R, reasonable performance, modifying potential and good MPG.

At the end of the day the only person that can decide which car is right for you is you.

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
As a cupra R owner, i would say the TDI.

I am fed up of £10 of fuel lasting 45 miles on a light foot.

As for cost comparisons based on mileage of 15000...

57 litre fuel tank.....

LCR....Average price of 97/99ron fuel about £1.09 (£62 fill up)
TDI.....Average price of diesel about £1.05 (£60 fill up)

Average range of that fuel driving gently

LCR...325miles
TDI....550miles

15000/325 = 46 trips to the fuel pump for LCR
15000/550 = 27 trips to the fuel pump for TDI

46 x £62 = £2852 per year in petrol
27x £60 = £1620 per year in diesel

Over £1200 a year Who said that wasn't substantial?? Simply put an additional £100 per month just in fuel

Then you have tax/insurance/servicings/maintenance.

So easily £150 a month worse off.

I would say that's a substantial difference:funk:

My LCR will soon be getting swapped for an A3 170 i think as im fed up of just wasting money.

Last edited:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
chalk and cheese:)

if you want a performance hatch go petrol.

if your worried about fuel and economy go tdi.

i know where mitchys coming from. mine drinks lots presently but isnt any fun due to poor conditions.

but i know how quickly id get bored with less power....:D

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
As a cupra R owner, i would say the TDI.

I am fed up of £10 of fuel lasting 45 miles on a light foot.

As for cost comparisons based on mileage of 15000...

57 litre fuel tank.....

LCR....Average price of 97/99ron fuel about £1.09 (£62 fill up)
TDI.....Average price of diesel about £1.05 (£60 fill up)

Average range of that fuel driving gently

LCR...325miles
TDI....550miles

15000/325 = 46 trips to the fuel pump for LCR
15000/550 = 27 trips to the fuel pump for TDI

46 x £62 = £2852 per year in petrol
27x £60 = £1620 per year in diesel

Over £1200 a year Who said that wasn't substantial?? Simply put an additional £100 per month just in fuel

Then you have tax/insurance/servicings/maintenance.

So easily £150 a month worse off.

I would say that's a substantial difference:funk:

My LCR will soon be getting swapped for an A3 170 i think as im fed up of just wasting money.
LOL Mitchy your one to talk when your LCR is pushing 300bhp + !! :)

But yes i agree my mates remapped LCR does drink. When he drives spirited its like 24mpg when i do its more like 40-44 mpg.

MrTs_Cupra

Wow, thanks for all the info. guys.

Might look for the FR+, haven't come across one for sale yet but they must be out there.

Deleted member 20376

With a car like Cupra r you should expect to pay high fuel consumption because of how fast it is. Unfortunately you can’t have the best of both worlds however ive heard them TDIs are quick.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
To me they represent two different things. They Cupra R for a very fast good looking hot hatch, and a TDI if you want to save money. Sure the TDI isn't slow, but the main reason anyone buys a diesel is money at the pumps - there is no other reason.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.