Clutch, Dual mass changed to Single?

Jun 26, 2008
Just round the corner.
Hi Guys,

I know a chap who has got a Octavia VRS. He's had it remapped to 225bhp.
When he did this the standard clutch gave up, instead of having the OEM or uprated Dual mass clutch, he's running a single mass.

He says the only differences are that the clutch is a bit jerky, but the single mass allegedly can last longer and is a lot cheaper. Fitting he said is just the same.

I'm hoping to get my Cupra remapped, but am thinking of getting the clutch replaced before hand.

What are your thoughts?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I have a SMF and its very grabby. It's a Spec stage 1 with steel SMF. The southbend one is supposed to be far easier to live with

B3LSY

i have a uprated sachs single mass with leightened fly wheel,for my uprated monster

B3LSY

£860 mate its good thou get alot of gear box chatter on idle but worth the money

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Decided to stick with DMF for the Leon. Having the Sachs uprated clutch fitted tomorrow and a new OEM DMF as I don't want the car to feel or sound "rougher" if you know what I mean, but then mines diesel and rough enough already!
I was very tempted to fit the kit from Jabba with the SMF that is lighter but decided that the original DMF has lasted 76k miles in my car (71k with Revo) which is fair enough.

When I do remap my petrol Octy VRs I will want to keep it feeling as refined as possible so can't imagine that I'd swap for SMF - but I'd never say never!

speedinsaxo

Jun 7, 2003
Visit site
I have a SMF and its very grabby. It's a Spec stage 1 with steel SMF. The southbend one is supposed to be far easier to live with

I have a Southbend stage 4 (going big Turbo sometime) with their 19lb steel SMF. Not much difference from stock to be honest, maybe a little rougher, but only noticable in 1st pulling away if you let it slip too much. There is minimal chatter, nothing that would annoy you that's for sure. Highly recommended.

Jun 26, 2008
Just round the corner.
Spoke to Parkers today, for a price on a clutch.
Gave them my mates Octavia VRS reg, to see if the Skoda's the same, or if I could get a single mass.
The Skoda's clutch system is different to the Seat's (which is hydraulic) so doubt I'll be able to go the cheaper option. Unless I change the gearbox to a Skoda one.

Jun 26, 2008
Just round the corner.
Right,
I 've got a new clutch and release bearing, but do I change the dual mass flywheel as well at the same time?
I can get one from Parker for £208.00 + vat.

They've advised, that it is only replaced if it's breaking up. But as I'm looking to have her remapped to 220 bhp approx, will the original take it?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
If the garage that is doing the job is confident to check the OEM fly wheel then don't worry about it, but if you have any doubts get it changed

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.