exeo st tyres

S70DGE

Feb 15, 2011
Halifax west Yorkshire
hi guys looking to replace the tyres on my st as the current ones are extremely noisy I have on the front EVENT?? 225/40/WR18 I know these are the wrong size/speed rating as they should be 225/40/YR18 92XL any recommendations would be greatly appreciated I need something with low road noise Paul:D

okedave

Jul 14, 2014
Ive just fitted the new Michelin Cross Climate tyres on the front of mine this morning and been out on a 50 mile drive. I have to say they are the quietest tyres Ive ever had, just have to see if their claims on longevity, fuel efficiency and winter weather ability live up to scratch too. I shall report back after a couple of months of driving with them. I was asking the tyre place if they have had any customer feedback on them, but they said they are brand new to market, so no feedback yet.

hugh_

Aug 25, 2007
Kent
F1s for me too, 12000miles so far and still 3-4mm on the fronts, and more on the rears.

Ive got Conti WinterContact TS830 on some steelies which I will swap over for when it gets cold, haven't used them yet but will post back when the time comes.

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Hugh - If you have a photo handy of your Exeo on steelies it would be great to see.

I am deciding between a set of old audi 17s or one of the these steel and winter tyre packages but can't quite imagine what they'd look like.

hugh_

Aug 25, 2007
Kent
Matt, none to hand, but will take one once they're on the car, probably in a couple of weeks time.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
TBH, many tyres out there that will outperform your current Events, except for wear.

I'd not rule out the Goodyear Dunlop RT Sportmaxx, it may just be cheaper that the F1's and there is not much difference between them..

okedave

Jul 14, 2014
I have to say the Michelin Cross Climates I've put on are performing admirably. They are the quietest tyres I've had, and the grip is outstanding, I can really throw it round these Devon lanes - really hoping they last as long as my old ones did, all with the added benefit of not having to swap winter/summer tyres and using the same alloy rims :)

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Cheers Hugh, thanks for going to the effort as I know you've moved on to pastures new with the Passat :)

The Exeo looks good for knocking on 140k!

Mrski1

May 12, 2008
Aberdeen
There is something cool about seeing a car running on steelies now, there is a new Audi A4 Avant S-Line on my walk into work and it just looks right on small wheels which wide & tall tyres!

Mr owl

Aug 8, 2015
I recommend for summer dunlop sportmaxx rt. Very solid tyre. Quiet and excellent in the wet. Really good on the dry. Car feels stable at any speed. They were through some serious braking on the motorway and didnt let me down. I realised how good they are since I've swapped them for a winter set of pirellis sottozero 3 (same size as summer 225/18/40). Winter tyres are considerably softer on the sidewall what can be felt during harsher cornering or under heavy braking. Although both sets are good and can be pushed if needed and safety is guaranteed.

Dark Andrew

Jan 25, 2011
I have to say the Michelin Cross Climates I've put on are performing admirably. They are the quietest tyres I've had, and the grip is outstanding, I can really throw it round these Devon lanes - really hoping they last as long as my old ones did, all with the added benefit of not having to swap winter/summer tyres and using the same alloy rims :)

I've been looking at those too and thought that they could be quite a good match for our climate here in the UK (but having said that, I don't think we've dropped below 8 degrees C here in the South East yet this winter). You say you found them quiet, which is always a good thing, but how do you find the ride? In 225/45 r17 they only appear to be available with an "XL" load rating which often means a stiffer sidewall and a harsher ride.

Psychodogstick

Dec 22, 2015
I use the Cross Climates on mine although the tyres are only 205/55/16's.

On the bright side i got all 4 changed from Costco for £170 which you cant really argue with.

I've found them as grippy in the dry as the Dunlop sportmax they replaced, and they are by far superior in the wet.

Add to that they are quieter and the XL sidewall is a pre-requistite for the Heavy nosed Exeo when running 55 sidewalls - they just seem like the ideal tyre to match the car.

I have doubts about how they will wear but the rest of the package is exceptional and i need to give them time to see how long they last.

okedave

Jul 14, 2014
I've been looking at those too and thought that they could be quite a good match for our climate here in the UK (but having said that, I don't think we've dropped below 8 degrees C here in the South East yet this winter). You say you found them quiet, which is always a good thing, but how do you find the ride? In 225/45 r17 they only appear to be available with an "XL" load rating which often means a stiffer sidewall and a harsher ride.

Ive not noticed any harsher ride with them to be honest, I had the Dunlop Sport Maxx on before and they dont feel any harsher.

Dark Andrew

Jan 25, 2011
Ive not noticed any harsher ride with them to be honest, I had the Dunlop Sport Maxx on before and they dont feel any harsher.

That's good to know, thanks, I'm also currently running on Sport Maxx RTs and have found them to be the best so far (although I did find the Yokohama AVS 550 dB to be a bit quieter and better riding but rubbish in the wet).

callybantan

Feb 20, 2015
Hey Okedave how have those Cross Climates been holding up? I went into Costco today and was very impressed by what the assistant was telling me Winter is here and I need new shoes.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.