Front Springs for ST

Derbian

Aug 12, 2013
Derby
Hi
Does anybody know whether you can get uprated front springs for an Diesel ST - Not lowered just uprated. Years back I used to go to a place in Manchester who would make up springs for you and always got 10 - 15% uprated. Firm closed down several years ago so wondered if something similar was available.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
http://www.coilsprings.co.uk based in Sheffield?

Some of the Sport models left the factory with the same springs as an S4. Clean up one of your front springs and make a note of the colour markings, then use a website like oemepc.com to find out the part number for yours. Then go to somewhere like the Kilen springs catalogue, cross reference your spring part number and see what else it fits. If it only fits 2.0 cars, I'm thinking you should look for 2006 A4 3.0 TDI SE springs, they shouldn't be lower but you'll get the extra stiffness.

Just a warning, the upper arm pinch bolts are a nightmare to remove, they seize into the aluminium housing and oxyacetylene is generally the only way to remove them in situ, just make sure the ball joints are covered with a wet rag otherwise you'll need new upper control arms. Air hammer sometimes works but access is tricky. The whole front suspension unit can be removed and worked on while clamped to a vice, where one technician can bash on one side with an air hammer while another impact guns the hex. Another option is to cut the bolt in half though the gap in the housing, then use a drift, a hardened hex coupling or drill on the rest of it. I'm currently dripping oil onto mine daily in the hope that some seeps in and magically loosens them. It's probably going to ruin my drive and make my tyres useless but I need to try something!

Good luck!

Last edited:

Jay1601

Feb 23, 2018
You don’t need to remove the pinch bolts to do springs just undo the back 16mm bolts if the pinch bolts won’t come out.

Should take around 2-3 hours to do both front springs on B7 chassis easy cars to work on.

Jay1601

Feb 23, 2018
Undo the 18mm strut bolt (blue)
Undo the 16mm ARB bolt (black)
Undo the 3 16mm top mount bolts (green)
Undo the 2 16mm top wish bone bolts (red)

The strut will come out this way, when reinstalling you need to “load” the suspension put a jack under the lower ball joints before doing the 2 16mm wish bone bolts up tight, little bit fiddly bit quickest way rather then trying to smash or drill the pinch bolts out. When had to replace my top arms took over 2 hours of heat and smashing the pinch bolt out the leg.

Jay1601

Feb 23, 2018
Undo the 18mm strut bolt (blue)
Undo the 16mm ARB bolt (black)
Undo the 3 16mm top mount bolts (green)
Undo the 2 16mm top wish bone bolts (red)

The strut will come out this way, when reinstalling you need to “load” the suspension put a jack under the lower ball joints before doing the 2 16mm wish bone bolts up tight, little bit fiddly bit quickest way rather then trying to smash or drill the pinch bolts out. When had to replace my top arms took over 2 hours of heat and smashing the pinch bolt out the leg.

0aa3926ec02f84e95aa48cc23fc1c038.jpg

Forgot to attach the pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derbian

Aug 12, 2013
Derby
Hi Thanks for all the information. Took the car out yesterday and the handling was definitely off. I need to do some longish trips at the weekend so may have to go with standard springs as I can get these next day. Hopefully the pinch bolts will come out easily but if they don't at least there is a workaround

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise