Hurdy's 470bhp Cupra MK3

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Welcome to my new toy [B)]

It is a 66reg 5dr Cupra 290 Black DSG in Dynamic Grey.

Why a 290 and not the new 300 I hear you shout. Well a few reasons, firstly I hate the electronic handbrake with a vengeance and the 290 still has a good old fashioned stick handbrake, secondly the ECU is tuneable from the offset, as is the DSG TCU, so no waiting for a year until mods are available......simples!:D

Now the specification. It is a black series Cupra, so enjoys the added benefits of.....

Black gloss grille surround
LED interior optics
Heated recaro style seats
19" multi-spoke alloys with 235/35/19 Contisport Contact5 tyres
Full link audio system
Rear spoiler side trims in gloss black
Gloss black mirror caps
Winter pack
Convenience pack+
Cruise control
Climate control
Dynamic chassis control
Mechanical LSD
Satnav
Etc, etc, etc.

Picked the car up on Friday 24th March and went straight down to my mate Steve Jr at Statllers to have the ECU and TCU read in readiness for some full dyno custom mapping by e-tuners.

A few benefits of the maps are......

Crackle overrun
Launch mode enable with esp on
Modified launch control rpm level
Quicker gearchanges
16 bar pressure clamping for higher torque handling capacity

Initially the mods planned will take me to around 400bhp and 400lbft with maps, intake, exhaust and intercooler. After that I need to look at the best path forward with lightening the car and better brakes etc.

Now for some photos......

https://www.flickr.com/gp/156392926@N05/ghx74b

https://www.flickr.com/gp/156392926@N05/ga6X27

https://www.flickr.com/gp/156392926@N05/T15080

https://www.flickr.com/gp/156392926@N05/GJ74ND

https://www.flickr.com/gp/156392926@N05/DJFvm7

Last edited:

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
how did you get a dynamic grey? I thought they had stopped that as a colour in 2016?

mine was supposed to be that colour but dealer told me it was discontinued

looking good.

dodds_turbo

OEM+ member
Sep 4, 2016
Edinburgh
how did you get a dynamic grey? I thought they had stopped that as a colour in 2016?

mine was supposed to be that colour but dealer told me it was discontinued

looking good.

Hurdy's Leon is a '66' plate so perhaps it just made it into the last of the Dynamic Grey's?

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
yeah it must have been. mine is a 66 plate and was ordered back in October 2016.

Sep 2, 2010
Leeds
Lovely car Hurdy! I was a big fan of your last two build threads and look forward to seeing what you have planned for this one.

aaaa_kk

Nov 19, 2016
Crawley, West Sussex
Looking good! What's the sound like of the forge intake? Does it make a lot more noise than stock or is it not really noticeable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Looking good! What's the sound like of the forge intake? Does it make a lot more noise than stock or is it not really noticeable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It isn't all that noticeable to be fair. I've now had custom stage 1 ECU and DSG maps done on the car and you can hear a little extra noise but nothing intrusive. The shotgun crackle overrun mapped in when in "Cupra" mode is MUCH more noticeable! :D

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Car went in for a custom Etuners map on Monday and it has simply transformed the car. It now has more torque at the redline than it had peak! Power is up 60bhp and torque is up 93lbft. The car dyno'd out standard with just the Forge intake onboard at a healthy 305bhp and 287lbft.

aaaa_kk

Nov 19, 2016
Crawley, West Sussex
It isn't all that noticeable to be fair. I've now had custom stage 1 ECU and DSG maps done on the car and you can hear a little extra noise but nothing intrusive. The shotgun crackle overrun mapped in when in "Cupra" mode is MUCH more noticeable! :D

I'm looking for intakes for my 280 and I think the forge is going to be the best for performance gains. I'd like a little more noise than stock too so this seems like the one to get! Ahh I wish I could get that too but I dont think the 280 will get the crackle & pops like the 290 without a custom exhaust.

Thanks for the feedback your car looks great!

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Car went in for a custom Etuners map on Monday and it has simply transformed the car. It now has more torque at the redline than it had peak! Power is up 60bhp and torque is up 93lbft. The car dyno'd out standard with just the Forge intake onboard at a healthy 305bhp and 287lbft.

Healthy gain for a stage one, John :clap:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Following... As I do with all your threads!

but for once.. my car is more tuned at the moment!

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
17x8" Oz Ultraleggeras went on the car today, wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres. The car feels much lighter and responsive on these than on the 19" multispokes and Continental Contisport5's. The car looks less "in your face" compared to when it was on the super bling 19's too, which I prefer. Also these weigh in under 8kg and with the tyre fitted weigh just 17.9kg.

Reactions: Damo H
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members