01 plate Ibiza tdi sport

jacktheraver

Hi,

Im currently the owner of a V Plate Ibiza mk2 tdi s and im going to have a look at the above car tommorow, its got 55k, full service history and for sale for just over 3.5k.
I know the cam belt is up for a change soon and maybe exhausts start going about this time is there anything else to look for in particular with this model ?

Cheers, J [B)]

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
I don't know if the TDi Ibizas are like the TDi Leons, but if so then when you need to do any exhaust work it may be just as well getting a a custom straight through pipe made and fitted.

This would remove the Cat and other gubbins but apparantly they're not needed to pass an MOT.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Just a thought - don't know what your budget will stretch to, but I'd have thought that some very early (52?) Mk4 TDI Sports wouldn't be that much more ?
That would bring big improvements in performance, technology & safety.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
Hi,

Im currently the owner of a V Plate Ibiza mk2 tdi s and im going to have a look at the above car tommorow, its got 55k, full service history and for sale for just over 3.5k.
I know the cam belt is up for a change soon and maybe exhausts start going about this time is there anything else to look for in particular with this model ?

Cheers, J [B)]

there wasnt a 01 plate i didnt think, it started with 51, same as mine then went to 02. anyway if its a 51 then its the same as mine, very nice car, price is about right as well. youve got 5k till the cambelt needs doing. Mine is the same age and has 62k on it and the exhaust is fine, diesels dont run hot exhausts as they are thermally more efficient than petrols so their exhausts last much much longer, you shouldnt need to change it.

As for anything else... umm not really just the usual MAF issue (check it pulls well in each gear) check the fuses in the box onto of the battery arent melted otherwise thats it. Great cars. oh and check the computer works on the radio display, should show mpg etc etc

any questions just ask.

jacktheraver

Yes stu yours look like a very nice example and a good colour too, im a little put off due to the one being on offer is flat red and I think they fade like hell unless your polishing it like crazy every 2 weeks. Think I may just make the blunge and go for a 03 plate tdi 130 in black if poss ;)

tdijack

exhaust should be fine mine is 1997 with 176000 on clock ,original system still on and still got most of factory paint on it. plus loads of rot proof oil inside.

Cupra_joeboy

May 16, 2007
Derbyshire
depends on what look you like the best, im now looking into buying a diesel tdi 110 sport as it has the same looks as the cupra, i dont really like the look of the mk4.

with a remap your looking at 140ish anyway so buying the mk4 just for the power seems daft imo.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
they arent the same, very different indeed, the only thing the same is the bottom end. if you want 180 from a mk3 110 then you will need a lot more mods. The 130 will remap to 180, but to get a 110 to that would need injectors, FMIC, custom remap and different turbo. alot more expense.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
nice car, the looks are far better than the mk4 but performance wise the mk4 is in another league. and I'm talking both chassis and engine.
Only thing better is that the mk3 is lighter. altho I've talked to more than one person in here that preferred his old mk3 to his new mk4 so who knows?

there are about a thousand lil things that can go wrong on these cars but it's about the same on the mk4 and they can surely do better than most other brands [bar the japs].

things I'd check on a 55k miles car would be:

-turbo [it doesn't have to whistle too much,,, if the car isn't mapped you almost shouldn't be able to hear it]
-clutch [it doesn't have to slip and you shouldn't be able to hear the release bearing when you press the pedal while changing gear]
-gearbox [check how the synchros work, that all gear engagements are ok and that there's no odd noise]
-general overall interior condition [the plastics on these cars are utter crap and they cost quite a bit to buy new, the steering wheel will almost for sure be badly worn, check the seats and the gearknob]
-steering and suspensions condition

that would be amost all,,, plus what stew said. check also here: http://www.samarins.com/ for good guides,,,

now I don't want you to get paranoid about it. I got the car since 2002 and I'm quite happy with it. remap it and the performance is decent, if you want something more then it's ££. fuel economy is very good in non-city driving, decent in the city,,, surely much much better than an equally powered petrol.

Feel free to ask questions.

Last edited:

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
it may look like leather and mine is a sport yet the wheel is worn as f*ck,,, same for the cupra's, I started a thread about gettin it retrimmed in the mk3 section and 100% of the people who replied had the same problem,,, you really are the first one I hear that hasn't experienced this prob,,, lucky dog!

Cupra_joeboy

May 16, 2007
Derbyshire
sorry i stand corrected regarding the engines, not really that clued up on the diesel units, was just asuming. this has made me think now about the mk3 tdi sport now as i was wanting 150bhp+ and loads of torque!

what would the cost of engine work be to get 150-180 bhp and around 250-300ft torque, what mods and price etc...

sssstew

Editing your spelling
it may look like leather and mine is a sport yet the wheel is worn as f*ck,,, same for the cupra's, I started a thread about gettin it retrimmed in the mk3 section and 100% of the people who replied had the same problem,,, you really are the first one I hear that hasn't experienced this prob,,, lucky dog!

Yay, i am a lucky sod then. or just very easy on my wheel.

sorry i stand corrected regarding the engines, not really that clued up on the diesel units, was just asuming. this has made me think now about the mk3 tdi sport now as i was wanting 150bhp+ and loads of torque!

what would the cost of engine work be to get 150-180 bhp and around 250-300ft torque, what mods and price etc...

speak to allards ( http://www.allardturbosport.co.uk/ ) if you dont want to do the work yourself.

Cupra_joeboy

May 16, 2007
Derbyshire
na, dont mind getting hands dirty at all, im pretty useful with engines, just never ventured into diesel tuning, just wondering what mods i would need for that sort of power return, obviously there will be aspects i will need help with.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
you would be looking at fitting bigger injectors, a different turbo, probably a FMIC, and then a custom remap to take it all into account. Its all been detailed before for the non PD 90/110 engines in the past, have a read back through of the TDI section to get all the info you need.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38465

also search for threads started by mojogoes, he took his tdi 90hp golf to 250hp,,,

it's not difficult to get decent power outta these engines but you'll need the money and someone who knows what he's doing.

I'd say a hybrid vnt 17/15 can easily take you over 150hp and minimize lag. you'll need also injector nozzles, bigger IC, clutch, mufflerectomy and a remap,,, not that much stuff but consider that you can get 180+ hp on an mk4 130 with just a map,,, plus it handles better,,, [altho it looks :sick: ]

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.