1.9 TDi cambelt slipping?

madmarv187

Hey guys, I just had a major service and cam belt change at 110,000 miles on my 1.9 tdi (110). When i drove it out from the garage i felt a very slight amount of underpower from first. Then got straight into a traffic jam (in london) and when i managed to get to a bit of open road I opened it up and only slightly felt a bit of possible slipping...?

Is this something thats to be expected? Is the tensioner loose? Should I drive it about a bit more too see what the score is?

Sorry for so many questions but im a bit worried im gonna ruin her :cry: :confused:

chris6210

Jun 12, 2008
If your cam belt had slipped I don't think you would be home yet !! I think you would be sitting at side of the road with a knackered engine !!!
May be something else

madmarv187

Thats kinda what i thought. is it possibly just some oil somewhere from the service? Im just wondering if I should go out for a drive or ring the garage in the morning?

madmarv187

It was both a cambelt AND service not just a service (oh and had the radiator changed). It was sorta weird. I went round the corner and it just felt a bit odd. Like after about 2k rpm it didnt do the usual boost I'm used too. Then after being in traffic and trying it again it felt like the power was there. So I floored it and felt a very _slight_ slip again. My clutch went last year and the feeling was sorta similar to that but not quite.

Its very hard to fully explain but I just didnt wanna do any damage so i shoved it in the garage and havnt taken it out yet. I was just wondering if i should give it a run (as ive driven it it about a mile from the garage) or if I should ring them?

madmarv187

Cheers mate, I'll give it a whirl and either ring RAC or come back OK! :)

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
To replace the cam belt you have to take off the ancilliary belt/s to get at it, chances are it hasnt been tensioned properly. Take it back to the garage and ask if they can check the ancilliary belt, mension that 'obviously you had to take that off to do the cambelt' makes it look like you know about it!

ancilliary belt slipping isnt a major issue unless its slipping constantly, ancilliary drives the alternator and water pump.

id say if your battery light doesnt stay on then it is ok, its more of a nuisance than bad for your car, should be fine to return it to the garage

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Ancillary belt does not drive the water pump. The ancillary belt can be changed without taking the cambelt off. The cambelt drives the water pump.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Hey guys, I just had a major service and cam belt change at 110,000 miles on my 1.9 tdi (110). When i drove it out from the garage i felt a very slight amount of underpower from first. Then got straight into a traffic jam (in london) and when i managed to get to a bit of open road I opened it up and only slightly felt a bit of possible slipping...?

Is this something thats to be expected? Is the tensioner loose? Should I drive it about a bit more too see what the score is?

Sorry for so many questions but im a bit worried im gonna ruin her :cry: :confused:

Cambelts are toothed and run on toothed pulleys, so if it's slipping then it's actually jumping teeth. If it jumps a tooth, it'll damage the valves and engine internals, so if you can still drive it hasn't slipped (or jumped) or if it has you're very very [repeat endlessly] lucky.

Last edited:

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
The point i am making is that he had the cam belt changed, to change the cam belt you have to remove the ancilliary belt, thus perhaps the ancilliary belt may not have been tensioned properly.

madmarv187

Well, I just went for a run! and I didnt seem to feel any slipping this time! but then maybe I was just lucky I dunno.

I'll ring them tomorrow and say, when I first pulled away from your garage it felt like it slipped but hasnt done since and see what they say.

With regards to radiator etc, temp came up ok so I dont think anything is problematic there. I just hate taking my car to a new garage that I dont trust yet and then something odd happens. :(

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
I think you're misunderstanding the way your engine works. If the cambelt slipped, you wouldn't be driving it. They don't slip a little bit and then catch hold (like a clutch does) because the crankshaft drives the camshaft via the cambelt. What this means is that the camshaft and valvetrain gear are all timed to rotate and open at exactly the right time. When the piston moves down the bore on its return stroke, the valves open into the same space that the piston has just vacated. If the cambelt slipped then the valves would still be occupying the space in the combustion chamber when the piston returned, and impact would happen, valves would bend, camshafts would break, con rods would bend, pistons would be damaged, and you wouldn't be driving it back to the garage.

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
The point i am making is that he had the cam belt changed, to change the cam belt you have to remove the ancilliary belt, thus perhaps the ancilliary belt may not have been tensioned properly.

No probs though I would not say that a poorly tensioned ancilary belt would create a characteristic in loss of performance.
Glynn

madmarv187

I think you're misunderstanding the way your engine works. If the cambelt slipped, you wouldn't be driving it. They don't slip a little bit and then catch hold (like a clutch does) because the crankshaft drives the camshaft via the cambelt. What this means is that the camshaft and valvetrain gear are all timed to rotate and open at exactly the right time. When the piston moves down the bore on its return stroke, the valves open into the same space that the piston has just vacated. If the cambelt slipped then the valves would still be occupying the space in the combustion chamber when the piston returned, and impact would happen, valves would bend, camshafts would break, con rods would bend, pistons would be damaged, and you wouldn't be driving it back to the garage.

Cheers mate, that's stuff I actually didn't know about my engine. I only really thought it was maybe the cam belt because it'd just been changed. My main worry was just trying to diagnose exactly what that thing was although it doesn't seem to have happened again. Maybe it was just something like oil or something??

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise