Strange relay clicking on TDi 110

4NT

I'm experiencing some strange relay clicking in a strange rythum for around 10 - 15 minutes after starting up my car from cold. I've never noticed it before but now I have I'm getting more and more concerned. After the car has warmed up it goes all together but it's a fairly loud relay typoe clicking from in the dash on the drivers side. :shrug:

Anyone know what this is? :confused:

Thanks.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
possibly glow plug relay, as they don't switch off when the light goes out but it shouldn't repeat, air con off? or maybe a water temp sender but I don't know if it would switch the plugs back on and off -- vag com needed I guess

4NT

Ta,
Generally the AC is on all the time. I may have to go and get it plugged in to see what's going on. It is only on that 1st start up, bit freakish. I've started running it on Bio Diesel recently and as yet haven't changed the fuel filter as i believe I should have done after the first 100 miles, don't know if this could be related???

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
Ta,
Generally the AC is on all the time. I may have to go and get it plugged in to see what's going on. It is only on that 1st start up, bit freakish. I've started running it on Bio Diesel recently and as yet haven't changed the fuel filter as i believe I should have done after the first 100 miles, don't know if this could be related???
wouldn't have thought so as i don't think you have an intank pump, first start sounds glow related, unless there are other probs I think you canrule out the main feed relay--109:headhurt:

4NT

:( i'm going to get it plugged in on Saturday when i go for the fuel filter. Ta for your response.:doh:

SenorJose

I think what you can hear is the electrical water heater.
About above the clutch housing are 3 glowplugs in the water system to heat up the cooling water. These glowplugs are only used when engine is cold - and only when rews are below 2500 RPM. The reason for these plugs are that the TDi othervise would be longer to reach operating temperature.

- Senor Jose

4NT

Thanks very much.

It was one of those noises that made me wonder if I was going to have real problems with the car soon.

I'm getting it serviced next week so I'll be getting them to plug it into the diagnostic machine and looking to see what comes out.

Ta.

SenorJose

No problem.
You can try to run the engine shortly after starting - when cold - just under and above 2500 RPM - and you will hear the relay working ....

- Senor Jose