1.9 TDI 110 dodgy MAF?

willives

Apr 20, 2008
Wiltshire or Spain
This morning, I pulled out on to a dual-carriageway and while accelerating in 2nd, I suddenly lost all power. The car would still accelerate, but very very slowly. I initally thought it was the old sticking vanes/limp mode problem, so I pulled over, turned it off and restarted, but it was no better. I have unplugged the MAF, which made no difference. It would also accelerate better when I only barely touched the throttle. As soon as I gave it any more throttle, the acceleration became worse.

I have checked the air flow reading of the MAF, and it is reading 55-60g, and the reading never changes, no matter how high the revs.

Am I correct in saying that the MAF has had it? I know the MAF is at least 4 years old, if not older. I can get a new MAF tomorrow, but I just want to confirm that it is the problem before I go out and buy a new one.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

willives

Apr 20, 2008
Wiltshire or Spain
I have taken the MAF off, and the grill is covered in black oily gungy crap. I think its safe to say that its knackered.:(

maf.jpg

alix

Dec 3, 2008
Hi mate, just wanted to ask was it a constant power loss? - I am getting the same problem but only when I first pull away, it only lasts for a second then is fine for a 45 minute journey apart from maybe once more - is my MAF on it's way out? Also did it engine warning light on?
Thanks

willives

Apr 20, 2008
Wiltshire or Spain
Hi. After The initial power loss, it ran okay for 20 minutes, and it then lost all power again. After that, it has no power at any time. No, there was no warning light, nothing. Called out the AA, and he gave me the MAF reading, although he wouldn't guarantee the MAF needed changing. As you can see from the photos, it was obviously covered in dirt and oil, not surprised after 120'000.

alix

Dec 3, 2008
Thanks. Mine is on 115'000. Like I said it's always just when I start up and pull away in 1st then it's fine apart from the odd glitch. Been doing it for a couple of weeks but not getting any worse, definitely not limp mode.
Have been using a green cotton filter for 18 months with no problems although I know people on here say performance filters can upset maf's. Will try cleaning both and see if that sorts it.

How do you get to the MAF?

willives

Apr 20, 2008
Wiltshire or Spain
Mine went after fitting a pipercross filter....:shrug: The MAF is next to the airbox. There is the black air intake hose from the airbox, and the MAF is the component with the plug in it. Disconnect the plug, and release the hose clips either side. I can't remember offhand, but I think the MAF might be secured with a couple if screws?????

bubbles1

Nurburgring Lover
Dec 28, 2008
Llandudno
I've just changed my MAF after 108k miles of which 70k + miles while running a lightly oiled K&N .

Car run fantastic now but have changed back to a std paper filter (to help MAF life) with no loss of power at all and my car is runs at 205 bhp 308ftlbs.

alix

Dec 3, 2008
OK Today it happened 3 or 4 times on my journey to work, sudden loss of power just for a second then picks up again, not like limp mode, much more sudden loss of power, also seems to be running quite rough generally, is this looking more like the MAF guys?

brad1

Was just reading the first post and was about to say maf, then i realised i was about a week late and you already had your answer lol