mufflerectomy...

T. Spark

Old thread I know but I've just had this done too. Nothing wrong with keeping old quality threads alive.

Did anyone experience more smoke after the mufflerectomy? Only had mine done 1 day ago and a bloke at work has already approached me saying it was dangerous following me to work this morning (and I only tickled the gas on the way to work)

Can't say I've noticed any smoke in the rear window, but he said he thought I was 007 with my smoke screen pumping.

Is a ECU reset worth doing?

Just tell him to follow me for 5 minutes and STFU moaning about yours ;)

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
ayy-up mester, put a drop of bio in that should fix it:ban: luv chesh':wtf:

Lol, long time no talk Nic,,, how's things?

the price of diesel has finally equalled that of petrol here,,, I deffo need to come to an alternative,,, I know sssstew has a long experience with svo and my same engine but I'm still a bit of a p***y when it comes to experiment with my car,,,

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Has anyone else notice a mega drop in MPG after mufflerectomy?

Mine has decreased by about 10MPG acording to my dash. ???

I struggle to get 38MPG now doing sunday driving and thrashing it gives me 26MPG (44MPG & 36MPG before) :s, even pulling away from junctions is telling me i'm only getting 16-19MPG.

Hope this improves or i'd be better off getting a Cupra R.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Mpg stayed the same...dont think anyone has had a mpg drop since doing the exhaust.

Sat in my car now with VAG-COM. No faults, i'm going to try clear the non-existant fault codes to see if it will clear the trims etc.

Might do some logs too. Something just isnt right after my exhaust chop. 151 miles on this tank so far and its on 3/4 full, I used to be on more like 170-180 miles and thats with a spirited drive. I'm stuck to driving like a 80yr old at mo, MPG is still reading low.

Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham
i usually get about 150-180 town driving, bypasses and bits of fun to about 20 or 25quid (20L) doesnt bother me as my astra g which had full catback was running 120 miles to a 20quid note :d

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Anyone know if this log looks right?

Started logging at 20mph, booted in 3rd. Don't think its a long enough log? Finding it hard to find a flat long road here that isn't busy.

mafjune2008loggraph.jpg

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Sat in my car now with VAG-COM. No faults, i'm going to try clear the non-existant fault codes to see if it will clear the trims etc.

Might do some logs too. Something just isnt right after my exhaust chop. 151 miles on this tank so far and its on 3/4 full, I used to be on more like 170-180 miles and thats with a spirited drive. I'm stuck to driving like a 80yr old at mo, MPG is still reading low.
Thats really weird mate. Have you tried a battery reset? You really shouldnt see a drastic drop at all as its just making the exhaust system more free flowing.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Thats really weird mate. Have you tried a battery reset? You really shouldnt see a drastic drop at all as its just making the exhaust system more free flowing.

Done a ECU reset last night, seems to have claimed back some of my lost MPG.

What MPG does your computer read if you plant it in 2nd on a flat road (2500-3500RPM)?

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
If your looking at real time statistics don't forget they will vary depending weather conditions i.e. temperature, load on the car, type of fuel you are using...Also I have a different map than you so my one might be more or less fuel hungry.

I will check for you today (if i get to drive :))

Deleted member 32025

Well I managed to get one sorted in the end before my MOT, was £150 for a cat-back with no boxes and is 50mm diameter. Went to silver systems in stoke, he is a powerflow registered dealer. It sounds good, deeper than it did before and not too loud and you get a nice bit of turbo whistle :)

I would say it feels to pull away a lot better, faster through revs. Overall i'm happy with it!

Danny_B

Jul 24, 2007
Essex
I've read through this thread and just want to confirm before i get it done.

Mk4 Ibiza Tdi sport pd130.

Remove the centre box and back box & get it replaced with a straight pipe?

Cheers.

brandon19

if you do this do you get turbo whistle or do i need to remove the car too for that?

cheers :)

brandon19

anyone know anywhere local to medway/kent that will do it?

cheers

juneau

Dec 29, 2010
Midlands
Re-visiting an ancient thread but as I would like to do this I just want to clear this up. So basically I want to ask to have my rear backbox chopped off and replaced with a stainless steel 2.25" straight pipe with a tip of my choice on? Leaving the central box and cat in place? Also will this bring up any fault lights etc that need vag-com'ing out?

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
You can usually take the lot out and have no problems other than a possible drone on the motorway and no it shouldn't bring up any lights or faults.

juneau

Dec 29, 2010
Midlands
oh i see, cheers for the reply. hopefully il get this done soon then, just need to find a garage willing to do it

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.