Silicon Dielectric Grease - Smoother running, more responsive & less smokey TDI!!

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME
is this the stuff, that i have found at a MAPLINS STORE.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx...rue&Stock=28&MinPrice=0&MaxPrice=9999&SD=true

IF IT IS THE RIGHT STUFF, i will go over & get some.

thanks.:)

I wouldnt get the spray mate, itll get everywhere and you dont want it anywhere near the element inside your MAF. Id sick to the grease as you know where it is, you can apply it more controllably and it also stays put! Some guy on TDICLUB also stuck it in the freezer overnight so we know its winterproof too :)

PiRoMaNiA

If this is what you did to my car it worked a treat... faster and smoother... lost Paul (CupraKid) on the motorway/bypass on the way home :)

edit: oh and i got better MPG on the way back from the meet too .. (dont know if thats related to this though)

Last edited by a moderator:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Well apparently my early morning Ebay purchase has been despatched.

I'm quite excited now :redface:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Yes I thought about doing the MAP sensor too, have no idea where it is on the Passat though !

It's presumably just as important as the MAF sensor, though possibly less susceptible to vibration from engine movement.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
Let me start by saying i wasnt experiencing any real bad problems, i had noticed my car had got a bit laggy which was annoying, but otherwise it was tip top.

well, i bought the tube of stuff from maplins on sunday :-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=DIELETRIC GREASE&ModuleNo=29006&doy=30m10

in a 50g tube. Cleaned the car and applied last night by putting in the female part of the connectorand plugging and unplugging a few times then refilling and finally plugging back in.

The results.....
A good improvement in the laggy problem, seems to have reduced it nicely in 2nd and 3rd, quite noticable.

Otherwise, performance etc all seem to be the same.

So another happy customer here :)

beefy

Oct 28, 2006
I also read that post about the silicone dielectric grease on TDI engines. Is this hard to do? I am doing a car maintenance course at nights once a week in college to get a better knowledge of my car under the bonnet. I asked the lecturer about doing this and he said the pins in the MAF were very delicate and could be bent easilly so he wouldnt' recommend doing it. He said "if it isnt broken dont fix it"

Hi.

Im new to this forum.

I posted the above under the "TDi tuning" along with other things.

How hard is it to actually add the grease to the MAF. I dont know an awful lot about cars under the bonnet. If i found a mechaninc who doesn't work to the basis of "if it isnt broken dont fix it" would he be able to do it easilly for me?

Thanks

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Hi.

Im new to this forum.

I posted the above under the "TDi tuning" along with other things.

How hard is it to actually add the grease to the MAF. I dont know an awful lot about cars under the bonnet. If i found a mechaninc who doesn't work to the basis of "if it isnt broken dont fix it" would he be able to do it easilly for me?

Thanks

All you do mate is un plug the MAF plug, add grease to the female contacts. Plug in/out a few times to clean the connections. Re-apply some more grease into the holes and the plug it in properly. It really is very easy - 2 minute job!

Glad plenty of people are having fun with this :D

beefy

Oct 28, 2006
Ok

What does MAF stand for and where is it located in the engine?

Sorry, but I am a newbie :)

PiRoMaNiA

All you do mate is un plug the MAF plug, add grease to the female contacts. Plug in/out a few times to clean the connections. Re-apply some more grease into the holes and the plug it in properly. It really is very easy - 2 minute job!

Glad plenty of people are having fun with this :D

So thats what you did to mine then :D i didnt really watch just let you loose!

wrc

May 1, 2005
TAMWORTH
just a ?:) would it be possible for some one to put pictures up of this process.

i haven't done mine yet! & i no it sounds easy & a 2min job, but i think pics would help people along the way.

i have the leon cupra 150 tdi & have had a look for my MAF & correct me if i,m wrong its the one on the top of the air intake with leads coming out & held in with 2 torc screws. i have tried to remove it today with the guide that has been put up, but it seems to be rock solid in there, & i,m afraid off braking the plastic.

any tips at all lads.:)

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
just unplug!

#DO NOT remove the actual bit enclosed by the torx screws

just the plug that connect to it.

then just put some of the stuff on the red bit inside the plug you removed

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members