Veggie oil?

lewism3

Hi people

Sorry if this has been covered before.

I have finally decided to try veggie oil in my 97 Ibiza tdi (90bhp). So a quick trip down to Tescos last night and to my horror i found a 10 litre bottle for £9.65. Therefore 96.5p per litre doesn't seem really worth the saving, against maybe damaging the engine and the amount of effort with putting the veggie oil in the tank.

Does anyone know where it is available cheaper? I thought that it was available for 55p per litre!!

Any comments appreciated.

Martin

lewism3

The effort of putting it in the tank is a good excuse not to bother. Well done for giving up at that hurdle ;)

Well you know! Just trying to imagine myself on a cold frosty morning juggling a funel and a 10 litre tub. Swearing as I pour it all over myself and the paint work.

When you say wholesalers, any examples? I'm unfortunately a Tescos/Sainburys man and do not have a Costco card!

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
Well you know! Just trying to imagine myself on a cold frosty morning juggling a funel and a 10 litre tub. Swearing as I pour it all over myself and the paint work.

When you say wholesalers, any examples? I'm unfortunately a Tescos/Sainburys man and do not have a Costco card!
cheerest at the mo' is PURA fron tesco or sainsbury's @56p if you've not tried it before I would wait for the warmer weather:blink:

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham

You could try putting it into a jerry can indoors, then going to the car and putting it in using the nozzle?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail..... ;)

lewism3

So I take it Veggie Oil is thicker when colder. Have to crank her over a few more time then!!

Do people use a mix between diesel and veggie? Heard many tales of half and half to full blown 100%.

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Do not use veg in a PD - that's all I'm going to say. The final repair bill will make the fuel savings seem pretty irrelevant. :D

In case you are wondering why Lewis it buggers up the nozzles on the injectors which happen to be around £200 each plus vat! Chesh and devon are right take the advice!
Glynn

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
We all know how rubbish your extra pump and "uprated" nozzles are!

hehe

:-o :ban: [:@] :lol: Cheeky! But I would still take some advice as I'm not sure how the fuel pump and injectors operate on the VE engines. If its any help my mate chucks in about 2 litres of unleaded in with a 50 litre tank of veg oil - but that's in a pug 405 TD - which can run 100% veg with little issue. Petrol just makes it a bit smoother, which might be the case for the 90 & 110 TDI engines as well.

lewism3

Yeah, I thought veggie would be thicker, and I thought it would be ok(ish) on my non PD tractor engine!!

I considered mixing it with diesel but never unleaded, didn't know that was possible.

Found a company a few weeks back advertising conversion kits for any type of diesel, apparently the veggie oil goes throught a heater and of course makes it thinner. The car starts on diesel and switches over when the veggie oil is hot enough. But thats 600 notes fitted and i'm a tight arse!

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
That's an old site. The situation now is that you can use 2500ltrs of veg oil (for non commercial use) before needing to pay any duty. How they're going to prove that you used more than 2500ltrs is a mystery to me, but that's a whole lot of motoring in a year, innit.

It's really just an issue of who you believe about what damage it'll do to your cars engine. ;)

jeffurs

Just asking, Can you add a few litres of veggie oil to you normal diesel , Will it mix ok without converting anything. I know we are not gaining anything money wise, Untill you go into the 10's of litres.

Oct 17, 2006
northwest
if its non pd(90 bhp or 110 bhp) - yes

some people have had no problems yet! just add a few litres to a full tank, I was considering it but thought no cos I cannot afford to fix a major problem at the min

try the search loads of topics on this one

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
if you're only using a few litres at a time and your only saving somehting like 4-10p a litre it hardly seems worth it. sure over a year you'll be able to count it all up but if anything does go wrong, you'd be kicking yourself.

2500 litres is probably a little under what I'd use in a year - filling up ~50litres at a time once a week or so.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
It would be cheaper to buy a very old Peugeot (with XUD engine) and run it on Veg oil in Cash and carry quantities and service a bit more frequently, than it would be to risk filling up a fairly new motor with petrol and cooking oil.
I never understood why people risk putting petrol of any quantity into a diesel car? The flash point is far too low and will cause probs eventually.
If it concerns people that much, run it 40% deisel.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.