Veggie oil?

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
i was led to believe that running oil or bio diesel was cleaner than pump derv,hense why you are advised to ween the car onto it. as the oil or biodiesel cleans the crap out of the fuel lines left by derv.
i thought this was one reason that bio diesel is more environmentally friendly,as theres less crap coming our the other end when its burnt.or have i been reading too many tree hugging site?

so what is performance/mpg/responsiveness like on oil and diesel anybody?
performance/responsiveness still the same=SLOW
mpg =same

TornadoRed

Aug 22, 2004
Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
i was led to believe that running oil or bio diesel was cleaner than pump derv,hense why you are advised to ween the car onto it. as the oil or biodiesel cleans the crap out of the fuel lines left by derv.
Even when heated, SVO or WVO is more viscous than diesel. So it puts more stress on all injection components. In PD engines, the injectors are very expensive and would be particularly at risk.

In a two-tank system, if the veggie oil is not properly flushed before shutdown, the nozzles will get clogged. A partially clogged nozzle can direct raw fuel directly at the top of the piston, where it can burn through like a blow torch.

Many of those using WVO or SVO do not properly process the fuel... not clean enough, too much water, etc.

And they think it is okay to stay with the normal oil change interval, but this is wrong. Oil should be changed at least twice as often, and to be even safer then change three times more frequently.

Stuck rings, contaminated engine oil, heavy wear on crank main bearings, destruction of injector nozzles -- there are so many things that can go wrong, that all the fuel savings accumulated over 20k-50k miles can be wiped out and more with just one extra trip to a TDI mechanic.

Do not attempt to burn WVO or SVO in any TDI engine. Get an old beater with an indirect-injection engine -- it will be safer and cheaper.

i thought this was one reason that bio diesel is more environmentally friendly,as theres less crap coming our the other end when its burnt.or have i been reading too many tree hugging site?
Cutting down rain forests, to grow palm trees to make palm oil for fuel, is not a very environmentally sound policy.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
Even when heated, SVO or WVO is more viscous than diesel. So it puts more stress on all injection components. In PD engines, the injectors are very expensive and would be particularly at risk.

In a two-tank system, if the veggie oil is not properly flushed before shutdown, the nozzles will get clogged. A partially clogged nozzle can direct raw fuel directly at the top of the piston, where it can burn through like a blow torch.

Many of those using WVO or SVO do not properly process the fuel... not clean enough, too much water, etc.

And they think it is okay to stay with the normal oil change interval, but this is wrong. Oil should be changed at least twice as often, and to be even safer then change three times more frequently.

Stuck rings, contaminated engine oil, heavy wear on crank main bearings, destruction of injector nozzles -- there are so many things that can go wrong, that all the fuel savings accumulated over 20k-50k miles can be wiped out and more with just one extra trip to a TDI mechanic.

Do not attempt to burn WVO or SVO in any TDI engine. Get an old beater with an indirect-injection engine -- it will be safer and cheaper.

Cutting down rain forests, to grow palm trees to make palm oil for fuel, is not a very environmentally sound policy.

I'm not running a PD engine
whats an old beater engine?
there's been guys(who have advised me so far) on this forum,running on veggies oil for years with no ill effects.
and i use good old fashioned rape seed oil,i call it pay back for having to drive passed all the yellow blossom here in the "summer" sneezing my ass of

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Of course don't confuse the veggie oil with proper EN BIOdiesel. This is still cheaper at 70p per litre and can be used in a PD engine.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
one note about heated fuel filters is that once you turn off the engine, the svo that's into the fuel lines after the fuel filter gets cold and when you get to turn on the engine again it can be a pita,,, so, they're only effective once the engine is running,,,

Toledo Steve

Apr 20, 2006
Wow! how long have I been away....the discussion moves on... OK My Toledo 110TDI 99 model year 100,000miles has been running for over a year on mostly pure Sainsburys vegetable oil (the cheapest) the odd tank of diesel when far from home, no loss of power/flexiblity (but it still has the 110 "all the real power comes in with a kick at 3000rpm") see my earlier post for loss of Turbo boost...now the weather has warmed up turbo boost is back, all is normal. Tornado Red does not seem to be too happy about veg oil in TDIs, I would not try this with a PD but TDIs are more common here in UK and not as expensive should anything go wrong (wait until mine has run successfully for three years and then make your decision) Previous to this I did run Rover TDIs 3 years on veg oil...Landrover Diesel (OK an ancient design (which loved veg oil and or parrafin (kerosene) Peugeot IDI 1.8turbo loved cooking oil or parrafin.....and lastly two "old beaters"of VW Passat Mk3 1600cc non turbos which loved cooking oil. I will also mention that My cars all Have the EGR blanked off (look at the EGR from an engineering point of view...it actually makes the engine LESS efficient and more likely to break down) I will keep you posted on the Renault common rail engine experiments, but they won,t begin until my old Landrover Diesel is rebuilt (so I have a spare vehicle - just in case) If I do have any catastrophic failure due to cooking oil....I will post it immediately...but If a Rover can run for 2-3 years on it and my TDI has lasted over a year with no ill effects......it looks OK to me AND do you people out there really know how much we pay for Diesel to this Commie Government that we have. I suspect that in a free country like America Gordon Brown would be dragged out on to the Whitehouse lawn and shot by his own Marine guards.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
I bought mine mapped so I really don't know but I can't think about the 110 as a "all the real power comes in with a kick at 3000rpm" case,,,

also I can't see why temps could affect turbo boost,,, imho I'd rather say that with low temps your engine has probs with SVO gettin too thick,,,

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
no, I didn't mean to go OT, I was trying to say that a normal running 110 doesn't do like toledo steve says so maybe his one has got some probs [particurarly at low temps as I get it] that are because of svo getting too thick in the fuel lines,,, and I think that because he says that the car goes better with higher temps so it could well be oil gelling,,,

sssstew

Editing your spelling
no, I didn't mean to go OT, I was trying to say that a normal running 110 doesn't do like toledo steve says so maybe his one has got some probs [particurarly at low temps as I get it] that are because of svo getting too thick in the fuel lines,,, and I think that because he says that the car goes better with higher temps so it could well be oil gelling,,,

yeah i know mate, tis cool :)

all the way round:lol: you make 2k rpm sound like a long way :D

hehe yes in the world if diesel it is :redface:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.