Whats the best Ecu tuning box ?

4ndyLeon

Jan 14, 2008
What ,where, how much ? lol
Need to know which is the best , a remap is out of the question as its a company car :whistle:

I live in sheffield :p

Andy

mrk

May 4, 2007
this is being asked like 3 times a week now lol

search and remap lol

andy43

Jul 13, 2006
You could try http://www.tunit.co.uk/ not cheap but they have a pretty good reputation and aftersales service. I had one on a previous Toyota and was very happy with it, no smoke, no clutch probs, very good mpg too, they'll go for a drive with you or stick it on a dyno and fine tune parameters on a laptop to suit your particular cars behaviour, sold mine to a friend and he's also very happy with it.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
The only way somone could tell you which one is best was if they tried them all under the same conditions. Thats unlikely to happen, so your better off researching the company who offers a box you're interested in and making a judgement that way.
Alternatively you could save a little bit more cash and buy a remap that will do a better job ;)

4ndyLeon

Jan 14, 2008
like i said a remap is out of the question , thanks for the replies tho , will have a good look around on the search function

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Well a remap doesn't have to be off the cards if your worried about it being detected?
A Custom code phase 1 can be removed by anyone with vagcom in under 2 mins, and put back on again just as easily...... (plants the seed and steps back)

4ndyLeon

Jan 14, 2008
Well a remap doesn't have to be off the cards if your worried about it being detected?
A Custom code phase 1 can be removed by anyone with vagcom in under 2 mins, and put back on again just as easily...... (plants the seed and steps back)

so they can't be detected ? just the hassle of swapping back for the service or if i have a breakdown :confused:

dirtysac

Mar 2, 2008
Yorkshire
Remaps are almost undetectable unless someone who really knows what there looking for looks at it.
If I were you though I would not do either of them because your are not insured if you do, your company policy will be null and void, and if you have a bang and they do detect anything then not only will be paying for the car you'll loose your job.

ini

Jul 29, 2007
If you have an older VP engine, get a tuning box that has at least 2 adjustment pot's, 1 for overall fueling, and 1 to allow more fuel when the boost kicks in. (these tend to have a wire for connection to the MAF to enable detection of turbo operation/rev's)

If you have a PD engine, i would not bother, as it will be the most expensive single resistor in a box you have ever purchased. (there are a very few that are not just faking out a temp sensor, but they tend to cost more than custom mapping, lol)

For a PD, get a remap.

T. Spark

so they can't be detected ? just the hassle of swapping back for the service or if i have a breakdown :confused:

Hello Andy,

First off welcome the forum, exactly which Leon Diesel do you have as a company car mate?

About the above question. ANY REMAP is dectable. If they know what they are looking for, they will find it. Simple as that. What I would say is that remaps have better feedback for being less agressive and smoother, therefore less likely to break things on your company car than a tuning box. As far as I am aware the car also can log details and store them, so even after taking a tuning box off, a dealer might be able to see it was boosting far too much, or similar.

As said above, I myself have had Custom-Code Phase 1 on my Ibiza PD130 for near on 60,000 miles. It was been in multiple dealerships with different problems (none relating to the remap of course!) I have either turned the remap off (vag-com and a laptop) or in some cases just left it on! I have only EVER been asked once if I had something and I quote 'on the engine' by the head techie to which I replied with a honest 'no' as its on the ECU ;)

Anyway, my point is things are less likely to break with a remap, JBS just down the road in chesterfield from you.. currently have 30% off making it really good value and with their remaps you can simply turn it off if you need to with vag-com. I live in the sheffield area myself, and have vag-com if you ever need it anyway ;)

One more note is lets so worst case is that they find a remap, you know nothing about it right :whistle: it has always seemed that fast, maybe it was on there before you picked it up :D

So, go on what are you waiting for give JBS a call or drop them a PM on the forum!

Good luck either way and your damn lucky to have a Leon as a company car!

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
All a tuning box will do is overfuel your engine, casing black smoke, cr@p mpg & problems down the line.

As for a remap though, I'm assuming your company is paying the insurance, so if you cant declare it with them, your insurance will be null & void (if caught).

Same with a tuning box, if you dont declare it, your insurance will be void (although easier to remove).

Both can be detected, so you either tell your company you want to remap/box it, do either & not tell them (but illegally), or leave it as it is.................the choice is yours :p

ini

Jul 29, 2007
Both a remap and a tuning box are essentially 'overfueling' the engine, that is how more power is gained. (with standard injection nozzles on a VE, both extending injection duration/advance)

A remap is a better solution as more parameters are 'safely' altered, and you will never have the potential to generate too much power for your current hardware.

For example, my last tuning box could send the turbo into 'shaft snapping' surge regime if set too high, with uncontrolled hard acceleration from 2000rpm whether it was wanted or not.

The clutch would not stand this kind of torque in 2nd gear let alone higher gears.

A tuning box can usually be spotted by quantity adjuster DTC's.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.