Price of diesel

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
Obviously the price hikes of the past few months have got us all seething but I'm more interested at the moment at the surge of diesel prices vs petrol prices. Diesel always used to be 2-3p per litre more than petrol, but at the moment it's anything up to 10p more per litre! What gives? Why the sudden extra burden for oil burners? And surely given the lower CO2 emissions of DERV we should be paying LESS, not more?

[:@]

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
Across europe diesel isn`t more expensive than petrol,
Just seems to be rip off britain, Doesn`t the government realise everything that you buy comes on a truck or van? All trucks/vans use diesel fuel. Therefore it has a knock on effect at the shops too........... Its £1.16 per litre at most garages, or 110.9p if your lucky

Rant over....

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
paying 112.9 in shrewsbury and was surprised to see 112.9 to 114.9 in oxford as well, considering two weeks ago oxford was at least 4p more expensive. So refill after visiting gf for easter won't be so bad.

Bang goes the budget delay of 2p tax, happened already in real world.....

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
its shot up cos of the base oil prices

diesel takes more percentage of crude oil to make than petrol which leaves stuff left over for creosote and crap etc

morgus

Nov 7, 2007
I paid 120 last week and the girl on the till said it would be up to 150 by autumn. massive profiteering methinks

Memphis

The Don
Jan 1, 2008
South Yorkshire
BP Ultimate Diesel: 122.9
BP Diesel: 118.9
Tesco Diesel: 110.9

Stupid!

Only on my last tank of BP Diesel (two weeks ago) I paid 112.9! 10p in two weeks!

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
its shot up cos of the base oil prices

diesel takes more percentage of crude oil to make than petrol which leaves stuff left over for creosote and crap etc

Therefore once the price of oil falls a bit, the price of diesel will fall more than the price of petrol will as it's down to the oil companies not an increase in tax :)

I'm being patient, it's still only a tank a month :)

dirtysac

Mar 2, 2008
Yorkshire
Paid 110.9 today at morrisons.

Diesel takes less crude than petrol to produce, but refining now costs more.

Read here

Last edited:

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
I have to be gentle to get 500 out of my 2.0 TDI. I'm having to drive like a nun at the moment to make up for the astronomical prices as I get through about two tanks a month in my job - sometimes more - so I do hope the price of crude stabilises a bit soon... :(

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I get 600 miles out of the beemer (oh, god, listen to me...)

Still, £1.18 in Devon earlier in the week was a joke.

dirtysac

Mar 2, 2008
Yorkshire
Either way I'm happy. I used to spend £600+ a month on petrol now I spend about £300 on diesel and do the same miles. Happy days.

I should rephrase that as it sounds like I actually have an extra £300 in my pocket which is not true. What actually has happen is that the lady friend is £300 better of and has more shoes.and I have a less powerful car.:( I feel like I have bent over and **** with a rubber glove.

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
It makes me angry that we get ripped off by this government on fuel taxes so blatently. Its about time they started to buffer the oil prices to protect the economy by amending the tax in line with the oil price fluctuations.

Only 2 years ago I drove a MK2 Golf GTi 8v for my 140 mile round trip commute at approx 10p per mile on fuel. My diesel Leon although massively better on mpg (46mpg vs 32mpg) now costs me about 11p per mile.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members