Allards EGR Pipe

mike.c1979

Has anyone fitted the Allards EGR pipe?

Have you noticed a difference?

Does the engine light come on and stay on?

Im just on their website now, and toying with the idea but want to find out the negatives first

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Noticed that there's no clogging up. :D

Yes, the engine light comes on - tends to be when cruising. Oddly enough, when thrashing the car the engine light tends to go out, and I think thats because the EGR valve naturally closes up when the engine is being thrashed, so the sensor which makes the engine light come on, thinks everything is OK. :)

(and no, this isn't why I thrash my car everywhere :D)

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Is this easy to fit? Any special tools needed?

Might order myself one if it makes a improvement over the VAG-COM trick (which I have done but can't notice any difference)

If I took it to a garage how much labour time to fit?

mike.c1979

It looks pretty straight forward to fit in my opinion. When looking at the kit on the website the bits look easy to fit

strugers1

oh no its not easy to fit at all i trie that and guess what... i still got to pay someone to fit it lol
not easy at all

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
This may be unfounded but could be true.
The egr has a cooling effect on the turbo so completely removing it could prematurely wear the turbo itself.
Much easier to fit the blanking plate than to mess about with the allards pipe.
Also with the blanking plate method the engine light does not come on.
It stops enough of the crap to make a difference but hopefully will not compromise the life of the turbo. Also if your car is still under warranty then there will be no issues, unless they find it. Also bear in mind the possibilities of goodwill jestures fro Seat on any claims that are outside the warranty period.
personally I would not fit that allards stuff when its so easy to fit the blanking plate.
Note the plate should have a 4mm hole in it.
Glynn

strugers1

well i am uner the inpression removing the egr valve cooles the air yes but not by a lot just enough to reduce inlet temps also stop all the crap going back round???

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Dunno what to do with mine now, I have some spare cash but don't want to fit the Allards EGR kit if it's going to cause long-term damage.

I seriously want some blingy bits under my bonnet (but bits that actualy improve things too)

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Tbh I dont have a proven theory, however I know renault have had turbo failure issues related to egr performance. Not looking to create a debate here but think about it, who wants to drive round with the check light on when the leon has somewhere in the region of 2000 fault codes in the ecu. Mapping it out creates a cost and what about when there is an egr fault and the light does not come on as its been mapped out?
I am quite happy with mine with the blanking plate fitted. I looked at the inside of my egr 20k after I fitted the plate and it was still very clean inside![B)]
Glynn

Last edited:

mike.c1979

yeah, Im interested in the blanking plate now after reading the posts.

Glynn, any chance you can put some detailed instructions up mate?

Cheers

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members