Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
egr-1.jpg

Does it replace one of these then? :confused:

mike.c1979

The blank plate replaces number 3 on the diagram and blocks off that side of the EGR valve (number 1)

Last edited by a moderator:

mike.c1979

According to Glynn, just putting a blanking plate in does not make the CEL light come on. He has a home made one and it hasnt thrown a CEL light to date

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
The blanking plate isn't the issue, it's the EGR valve itself which when removed throws up the fault which triggers the CEL. I've currently got 2 spare vacuum hoses because of this - one for the ASV and the other for the EGR. Both are sealed with golf tees to prevent crap getting in them.

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Somehow the ecu mesaures the values of recirc gases. God knows how as there are no sensors in the exhaust etc. The blanking plate can be made out of sheet steel a couple of mm thick. Simply draw round one of the gaskets you remove, cut out with tin snips drill the hole, dont forget this bit or the light will come on and there you have it. A vastly reduced egr operation for a couple of £ and and hour of labour, it really is that easy. For all those with vag com measure your outputs after you have done it.
Glynn

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Just been out to look at my EGR. It doesnt look like the diagram in post #22.

Looks very tricky to work in that tight space.........should be fun :)

thirty3

Does the leon draw the crankcase/rocker covers breather gases into the air intake. If it does the other option is to stop this as this is also the cause of egr clogging. Steam and oil mist from the rocker covers mixing with exhaust gases = black sludge. Re route your ccv breather and no water/steam to mix with exhause and no or limited egr clog.

Just search for CCV mod or CCV bypass or elephant hose mod...I know there is a DIY on briskoda.

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Whats your suggestion on where to route it in to if not back into the intake.
Dont fancy oil on the sump guard if it just vents to atmosphere?
Glynn

delaxm

Nov 8, 2006
South West UK
The ECU knows what the airflow meter is reading at a given time, when it opens the EGR, the flow through the airflow meter reduces by the amount that is recircluating through the EGR & if the ECU doesn't see this reduction (because the EGR is blocked off) it can bring on the CEL - you can reduce the ECU's sensitivity to this in VAGCOM but mine still comes on occasionally.

What are the blue nozzles on your inlet Mike? LPG or NO2 ?
Are you back to a single turbo then?
What happened to the twin set up?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
That would de the nos injectors?
Glynn

:yes: Diesel WON NOS kit only comes with one injector which i had spraying into the EGR replacement pipe. As usual with me i modified the kit to have the injectors spraying directly into the air inlet chamber of each cylinder.
Twin turbo kit didn`t workout as Allards couldn`t get a smooth enough change over from one turbo to another in the time they had my car to test ideas with.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise