fitting boost gauge on tdi

Mar 8, 2007
Another question when you drilled into the intercooler pipe did you need to "tap" a thread in the hole with a special tool or not?

I dont have access to a lathe or radial drill, just a normal hand drill.

Should be ok if I just drill a hole smaller than the thread, then use some PFTE tape to ensure a good seal, as well as the tapered thread, shouldnt it?

strugers1

i think you tap the pipe with the bit that goes into the pipe??but ptfe tape should do the job maybe locktite too??

shaunymac

Auto Emocion
Jul 30, 2007
Basildon, Essex
I had a bar gague in my fr 150 with the variable nozzle turbo it changes quite alot on the gague but at full pelt it used to hit just under 2 bar then it would drop back to about 1.5 and hold it until about 3900 rpm

Mar 8, 2007
Finally fitted mine today.

2 Problems

1. ITS BUZZING LIKE **** AND DOING MY HEAD IN! EVEN CRUSING AT 60MPH IN 5TH IN BUZZES AACCCHCHHCHCHCHCH CANT BE HAVING THAT

2. When I boot the car in 3rd or 4th it boost spikes to around 22 PSI?! Is this normal?!?
The car is a PD130 standard apart from a dragon tuning box, EGR turned down with vag com, CCV BYpass, DECAT and sports backbox

Any ideas?

Thanks

strugers1

whats a mapped130 psi roughly??i would imagine around 1.5 bar??or am i way out??i gettting mine fitte next week an nee to know roughly what to look for
cheers

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Finally fitted mine today.

2 Problems

1. ITS BUZZING LIKE **** AND DOING MY HEAD IN! EVEN CRUSING AT 60MPH IN 5TH IN BUZZES AACCCHCHHCHCHCHCH CANT BE HAVING THAT

2. When I boot the car in 3rd or 4th it boost spikes to around 22 PSI?! Is this normal?!?
The car is a PD130 standard apart from a dragon tuning box, EGR turned down with vag com, CCV BYpass, DECAT and sports backbox

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sounds about right to me. You can get an inline reducer that cuts out the buzzing. It's basically a piece of plastic that goes inline with the gauge pipe and has a much smaller hole in it. You still get accurate boost readings but you don't get the buzzing gauge.

Did you securely fit the pipe to the back of the gauge or did you just push fit it>

Mar 8, 2007
I'd be interested in knowing as well.

MY 130 is standard with regards to software tuning.

And it spikes to 22psi when booting it in 3rd and 4th, then settles to around 19-20 psi.

Is this right?

Ive push fitted the tubing onto the rear of the gauge. I should secure it with a cable tie really.

Where can I get one of these reducers Uncle Fester?

Mar 8, 2007
aug005.jpg

aug006.jpg

aug007.jpg

aug008.jpg

theres all my fitments

been out today and when flooring the car in 3rd or 4th the gauge shoots up to 23psi and stays constant at 22

the car is not mapped - pd130 with a decat and dragon tuning box

cant be right can it?

reckon the gauge is a duffer?

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
So all you need to do is put a vacuum pipe off the intercooler pipework and that's it? Plus a live off the battery, an earth and an accesories live? That's easy enough! Is there anyway you can put the vacuum pipe on the underside of the IC piping to make it look a bit neater?

Mar 8, 2007
I suppose you could.

It doesnt look as "pikey" in real life, and I've tidied it up around it.

I would have put it underneath, but would rather have it easily accesible should "something" go wrong

Its definitely working for me, but the gauge noise is doing my nut in and im 90% sure the reading is wrong, going to check that with vag com at some point.

dont buy a swoosh gauge

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
You can put it anywhere in the IC piping :)

But basically you need to make a hole in the IC piping to get it to fit then? I didn't know if there was a dinky little pipe somewhere where I could've just put a t piece in. Where did you all get the bits you've screwed into the IC piping? I only got a T piece with my gauge.

Mar 8, 2007
Just order a brass 1/4" tapered hosetail off bearingboys.com.

Get a 13mm drill bit and then screw the hosetail into that

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.