Location of coolant temperature sensor

Slugger

Can anyone highlight on this diagram where the location of the coolant temp sensor/sender is?

The engine is a 1.9 tdi 110 from a 2002 seat leon.

Many thanks

enginebay-vac-sol.jpg

Slugger

From reading on another thread it mentioned it being on the right hand side near the MAF? But I couldn't see anything obvious when I had a quick look.

Going to go and explore more now.

Any more help appreciated!

Slugger

There is also a sender to the right of the engine block as you look at the picture.

Managed to find it quite quickly in the end. Thanks for the input guys. Only problem now is that it didn't solve the issue with the car not wanting to start straight away as though the glow plugs haven't heated up fully.

jiege01

Toledo TDI
Jan 11, 2006
Magherafelt, NI
There is also a sender to the right of the engine block as you look at the picture.

Managed to find it quite quickly in the end. Thanks for the input guys. Only problem now is that it didn't solve the issue with the car not wanting to start straight away as though the glow plugs haven't heated up fully.

glow plug relay under the steering wheel?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Right hand end of the block, attached to the coolant pipe Tee, and located underneath the rear pipe, not visible in the picture (good job I've left it on photobucket, eh?). On that picture, the circular vacuum pump is visible at the end of the cam cover: below that, attached to the block, is the metal Tee taking hot coolant from the engine and splitting it to the radiator and the cabin heater (with a bleed off underneath to the oil cooler). Is that where you found yours?

Slugger

Right hand end of the block, attached to the coolant pipe Tee, and located underneath the rear pipe, not visible in the picture (good job I've left it on photobucket, eh?). On that picture, the circular vacuum pump is visible at the end of the cam cover: below that, attached to the block, is the metal Tee taking hot coolant from the engine and splitting it to the radiator and the cabin heater (with a bleed off underneath to the oil cooler). Is that where you found yours?

lol, yeah thank you for the use of the picture.

Thats where I eventually found the sensor. Was difficult to see because of the pipe that is right above it.

Your explanation of its location is very good though.

I think the problem may be the fuel pump however, so will get on a do some more searching.

Thanks

black04ctdi

Just changed mine today and it was fairly easy to find, but seeing as I couldn't find any pictures showing the location of this common problem, I took some to share with you!

See my Flickr set for comments....

3074732473_eb2199e93e.jpg

3075566342_77caf9ec0e.jpg

3075565026_262f0683d6.jpg

3075565624_38364861cb.jpg

3074733513_be6b82e0df.jpg

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Nice set of pictures, thanks. You have three glow plugs in the coolant to provide fast warm-up on cold days, something I don't have - but then I only have a TDI 110. I was told they were only standard in cold countries?

black04ctdi

Haha, well I didn't even know that's what they were! I'm new to this diesel engine thing, I've been used to a rotary engine for the last 6 years! So are they the glowplugs for the engine? I'm in the UK, and its a 150 Cupra.

Last edited by a moderator:

black04ctdi

no they are not THE glow plugs, they are in the front of the block, in a horizontal line you will see if you take the engine cover off.

Cheers, I didn't think so...normally know my stuff with engines, think I need to read up on diesels!

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Sorry to be the cause of confusion.

There will be a single glow plug in each cylinder, providing the pre-heat for cold starting which all diesel engines benefit from.

In addition you have three extra glowplugs (identical, as far as I know, to the ones in the cylinders) which warm the engine coolant up to get the engine to operating temperature more quickly. I don't know offhand whether they come on every time you start, or only when it's cold outside.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
As far as I recall the glowplugs for the starting combustion only come into action under a certain temperature, something like 5degrees C maybe? Correct me if I am wrong.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Sometimes when really cold or sitting for a period of time it helps to hit the glow plugs twice before cranking the engine, I find it starts easier and smoother.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members