Good Clean - Cleaning Inlet Manifold, EGR, Intercooler & Pipes

T. Spark

Yo yo, quick question

What would be best to clean the following bits

Inlet Manifold -

EGR -

Intercooler -

All intercooler pipes -

Wanting to give it all a good clean before the RR day :)

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
Soak in petrol overnight? When I spoke to Jabbasport about cleaning the EGR and inlet manifold they told me the easiest way to clean them is to use a blow torch and set fire to the crap inside. I wish I had done mine this way because using brake cleaner and bottle brushes etc was really messy.

T. Spark

Peter - How would soaking in petrol work? I have a blow torch ;)

Gavin - LOL, yes I could do that....

Chris - Oh dear, didnt have fun? The inlet manifold should be the bitchaa the EGR is easy?! Isnt it?

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
WEAR LATEX GLOVES! unless your emo and like having black under your fingernails for a month. EGR is pretty easy, just very messy, same will go for the inlet manifold really, just less nooks and crannies for dirt to get stuck in. Carb cleaner is exellent for cleaning away dirt, i used to to clean my hands ;) but dont be fooled it wont cut through a chunk of it.

I put some foaming oven cleaner in the EGR to start with, then boiling water. Repeat untill most of its shifted, then its time to get to work with a tooth brush and carb cleaner. then rinse in boiling water again. repeat with carb cleaner if needs be. then when your done rinse then give it liberal coats of WD40 to displace the water. Hardest part is getting to the dirt around the anti shudder valve.

T. Spark

Cheers guys, Rob - Looks like a fun day for me then :D

Did you notice less smoke/more resposiveness after the clean out?

Whats best for cleaning the intercooler and pipe work also?

Mat

fire! loving sound of this. All I can say is that Monday will be "different"

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
If your taking the EGR off sounds like a good time to throw it in the bin and fit a straight alloy pipe instaed. Both Forge and Jabbasport are ment to be producing these soon. Jabbasport might already have some in production. It wouldn`t be very hard to get any alloy shop to make some up as they are only a piece of pipe with a flange on the end.

T. Spark

If your taking the EGR off sounds like a good time to throw it in the bin and fit a straight alloy pipe instaed. Both Forge and Jabbasport are ment to be producing these soon. Jabbasport might already have some in production. It wouldn`t be very hard to get any alloy shop to make some up as they are only a piece of pipe with a flange on the end.

Know any Alloy shops? ;)

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
any custom exhaust shop should be able to knock up something mate. just cleaned the egr on my transporter t4 with carb cleaner fine. card cleaner can be used on the pipes too. Oh and yes I blanked off the exhaust to egr pipe with alloy plate :)

my leon had the allards pipe, got it when it was still £49, no probs!

gti gadge

Hmm, put off doing this now. Wanted to do an EGR delete but there are always mixed reports on performance, MPG and smoke issues. Car is remapped and the tuner didn't recommend removing it and after multiple thread reading, still at a loss!!:cry:

T. Spark

Im the same mate, also I like the idea of a anti shudder valve on the car...

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
all i can say is that ive blanked the pipe on my t4 and I've removed the egr for an allards pipe on my leon, without any issues at all. Both run better, mpg is the same, both feel bit more perky.

Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham
Ive been looking at attempting to get the EGR off for ages now. Everytime i go for it i chicken out ahah so just clean what i can see whilst its on the car.

Whats the best way to undo the bolts on the underside of the EGR closer to the brake fluid? Guessing its just 2 bolts... which connect to some pipe going to the exhaust...? Theyre a right bitch to get at..?

tom167

bucksvag.net
Mar 27, 2006
Milton Keynes
I used used a few quarter drive allen keys when i removed my egr to get the exhaust flange. Only one thats a bit fiddly is the one on the bottom on the egr where it joins to the inlet manifold. I just used an allen key the long way round with a spanner to lever it. Whole thing probably takes less than 5 mins to remove.

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
removal and re-fit is easy, top 2 out first, then the pipe from the exhaust, once they are out the way, push the EGR around to give your access to the bottom bolt.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Im the same mate, also I like the idea of a anti shudder valve on the car...

I was driving home the other night out of Stockport area, when the road ahead was blocked by thick clouds of smoke. I thought there was a house or car fire.

When I went past, there was a TDCI Focus parked on the other side of the road, with it's engine revving itself to destruction and billowing out smoke.

It reminded me why anti-shudder valves are a good idea :)

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
I was driving home the other night out of Stockport area, when the road ahead was blocked by thick clouds of smoke. I thought there was a house or car fire.

When I went past, there was a TDCI Focus parked on the other side of the road, with it's engine revving itself to destruction and billowing out smoke.

It reminded me why anti-shudder valves are a good idea :)

What he said. Gives you at least some chance of stopping the engine. ;)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise