Changing the steering Weight on a MK4 ibiza

Rage

Sep 2, 2002
Visit site
Whilst I was out playing with Vag-Com I thought I'd have a go at changing the steering weight.

The procedure ( for those who are interested ) is dead simple.

Open the steering assist module

click recode -07

take note of the value, on mine it was 000121

change it

mine is now 000151

its more work to steer but you get much more back from it. Steering is more positive and less twitchy. I may well knock it down to 141 to ease it up a bit.

All round dead easy mod

I give it a 0 spanner rating for difficulty and 5 thumbs up for results

Niall

Aug 6, 2003
www.testrake.com
Rage,

I nagged my garage to change the power steering as well. I found that out on a dutch site of nürburgring racers. There are supposedly three settings.

Nr. 1 Invalid setting

Nr. 2 Normal

Nr. 3 Sport setting.

Mine´s set at sport as well. i found in winter time when it was snowing the steering reacted really late when going round corners. Resulting that the car would turn quicker than wanted. Then long live ESP for serious motoring:devil:

Now it´s brilliant even at 140mph+ :jog: Very sharp through the bends.

Greetz

Niall

Rage

Sep 2, 2002
Visit site
rumour has it that its variable from +5 to -5

admittedly I just knocked it to 5 straght away but the difference is very noticable

slim_boy_fat

Am i the only one that wants it at -5?

I must be a lazy bugger...

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Went to Stoneacres and Ross plugged in the 1551 machine (if thats what it's called), my setting is on 121 already and he said that you can't get much better than that...I'll ask him to try again next week when I'm back!

Deejay

no prawn sarnies ere
Nov 8, 2002
ЯEPUБLIC OF MANCUNIA
Originally posted by Rage
rumour has it that its variable from +5 to -5

admittedly I just knocked it to 5 straght away but the difference is very noticable

I was talking to my seat mechanic mate about the steering now found on the mk4 ibiza,he managed to get it +8 and -8 at their dealer franchise.

Basically don't sneeze when you are in the extreme sensitivity settings or you will end up wrapped around a lamp post.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Am I right in thinking these changes only affect the amount of assistance - and not the steering rate ?

Niall

Aug 6, 2003
www.testrake.com
The weight of the steering feels heavier. Like you´ve got a bigger car than it is. It turns in immediately whereas the standard setting takes a while to react.

slim_boy_fat

The steering is electro hydraulic but the gear ratio will be unaffected by the change in the settings. Its only the amound of assistance that will be changed. i.e +8 will be trying to turn the wheel with engine off and -8 will be like turning the wheel when the car is on a ramp. Not quite i know but you get the picture. The rate that the front wheels turn compared to the steering wheel will be unaffected.

arfur

Originally posted by slim_boy_fat
Am i the only one that wants it at -5?

I must be a lazy bugger...

Nope sounds like a great thing. I guess I'm a lazy bugger too. Sounds like a tempting thing to ask for at the next service.

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
Can you do this on the Leon too? :confused:

It's not offensively over-servoed, but I'd be happy to notch it back a little and gain some more feel....

Rage

Sep 2, 2002
Visit site
More testing and the conclusion is firm. 151 is the way to go. Its not much harder to turn the wheel but I find I don't have to provide so much resistance myself when cornering quickly. This is a must for anyone who encounters roundabouts regularly and like having a little fun.

As for taking it down to -5 you must be nuts. Every bump you hit will nudge the steering slightly and be assisted making your journey very dangerous. Any torque steer will be amplified. You'll find yourself constantly battling to keep a straght line.

arfur

Originally posted by Rage
As for taking it down to -5 you must be nuts. Every bump you hit will nudge the steering slightly and be assisted making your journey very dangerous. Any torque steer will be amplified. You'll find yourself constantly battling to keep a straght line.

Hang on I might have got this the wrong way round. Doesn't more assistance mean less feedback. Which should mean that the effects of torque steer and bumps should be dulled down not increased.
Less feedback sounds terrible for the track but marvelous for the cobbled streets of London. I've always liked cars with over-assisted steering.

jacknelle

Mar 25, 2003
Portsmouth
www.jacknelle.co.uk
I already had my steering weight adjusted by my dealer so I thought I'd check and see with VAG-COM what value mine was set at. I got a coding of 10110 - quite different to yours. Any ideas what this corresponds to? My partner's Fabia was set at 00140, which I guess equates to a setting of 4.

jacknelle

Mar 25, 2003
Portsmouth
www.jacknelle.co.uk
I'm pretty convinced that the coding of 10110 on my car is wrong. The steering assist is very inconsistent - some days it's seems heavy, and on others it seems really light. Is it safe for me to try the value of 00151 that Rage has? i.e. am I gonna mess anything up by trying that value even though it bears no resemblence to the one stored in my ecu?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise