1.4 Tdi - Windy noise as I step on the GAS - Turbo gone bad?

JohnnyPT

Hello there!
I'm a complete zero when it comes to cars and engines, so please keep that in mind as you read this.
Here's the thing, I have a 2003 Ibiza 1.4 Tdi.

Last night I was making my usual 200 km journey to the city I work in, when I started hearing a windy noise everytime I stepped harder on the gas. At first I thought the ventilation system had gone bad, but then I realized the noise was coming from the engine, or under the car.

It only happened when I stepped harder on the gas and got more audible the harder I stepped on. If I stepped lightly even 2500, 3000 rpm, the noise would not be audible.
I travelled at around 110/120 km/h, the temperature was ok.

The previous day I had noticed a very faint "whistle", just slightly louder than the usual turbo sound, but I didn't pay much attention to it since it went away.

It didn't seem like the car was loosing power - if it did, it was marginal.
I got the feeling that it was burning fuel faster than usual, but can't be sure.

I don't need to use the car until Friday, when I have to do my round trip (200km) back to my homeplace. I'll take the car to my trusted mechanic there.

My questions are:
- Will I be ok making the return trip?
- since I was travelling at night, I didn't see if there was smoke coming out. Should I check that during the day?
- I have a friend who has that VAG.com thing. Will that give me any useful info?

Thanks a lot!
Best regards
Johnny

Chieflongshin

Definitely a boost leak i would have thought. I had same noise on my glanza. What you'll eventually notice is huge gushing sound ( notmally if left for long time ) and then you wont move as quick.

Easy fix, find pipe and replace if its one of those or temp it up with duct tape for a el cheapo short term fix.

JohnnyPT

yep,get vag com to log requested vs actual boost, then graph it to see if it matches.

the windy noise could well be the start of the boost leak.

I'm about to plug Vag.com into the car. How do I do that?
Thanks!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.