High mile PD owners - how are you getting on?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Guys that's seriously useful info which could save me much time and money, many thanks indeed. :cheers:

Fen

Gotta check my tracking..
Oct 21, 2002
Wellington, NZ
Visit site
Nobody done some real miles yet? I'm thinking of buying a PD130 but I'm looking at cars with more than everyone who's posted here already on them. Nobody done 200k in one yet?

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
In news on PD reliability, I just had some!

I'm driving home from my friends, go into second gear after I come from a junction, and all of a sudden, nothing. A lot of grinding and spluttering though.

I stopped and found that the intercooler pipe had come off. I had to remove the piping that was touching the alternator belt and limp it home. That was an experience!

Tomorrow I'll be in the garage with the bumper off, headlamp out, assessing the damage that has been done, thanks to monkey mechanics that try and attach boost pipes with jubilee clips.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I've had the blown intercooler pipe experience, fun isn't it ?

By the way, when I was trying to buy clips for my pipes, there's 3 or 4 sizes used in various places, and IIRC the part numbers in ETKA didn't necessarily match up with what was on the car.

If you're ordering clips, I'd get 2 or 3 of each size listed in ETKA, they're quite cheap and it saves you the hassle of finding you've got the wrong ones and waiting for another parts order :)

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Also - and I'm sure you know this, but - when you refit the pipes, make sure they're pushed fully together before putting the clips on, otherwise you'll chew up the metal retaining lugs on some of the pipe ends - they seem quite fragile and might already be worn (which might be why you've got jubilee clips on !!). Speaking from experience here by the way ;)

Chri5B

Scraping my undertray...
Oct 7, 2002
Staffs
www.cxi.org.uk
I'm on a mere 56k now. Had rear drop-links (IIRC) done under warranty - blasted speed bumps on my estate but otherwise it continues to go well. Not had to top the oil up between services for ages.

The OE speakers are sounding worse for wear these days and I doubt the suspension will last out 100k+.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Lee, I've just ordered a bunch of clips. Thanks for the advice, hopefully the ones I've ordered will be right.

The moment of truth will begin in a few minutes. I'm gonna have the bumper off and the light out so I know exactly whats up.

I hate cars.

JONO!!

More power, less tread
Oct 20, 2002
Kentestershire
Visit site
i had all the turbo pipes replaced at about 30k miles cause they were leaking, warranty job. also, the clutch slips when it feels like it. odd bit of creaking from the front, maybe shocks but havent investigated. just had the 40k miles service and it sailed through. turbo seems a lot louder and more whistly these days, but i think thats due to the engine loosening up over time.

jase750

Jan 3, 2003
Stoke on Trent
Visit site
the company car has got in excess of 185K and thats got a pd 130 lump in it still pulls like a train.a bit smokey on boost but apart from that it runs fine
all the other mechanicals have been replaced in one form or another so i would say the engine is the strongest part
Oh its in a passat by the way

Fen

Oct 21, 2002
Wellington, NZ
Visit site
basstard said:
fen, are you gonna buy a 130 lump with more than 200k? or you planning to reach there?

Sorry, missed this. I might get there. I took my 944 cab from 142,500 to 192,000 and I wouldn't necessarily shy away from a car with 120, 130 or 140,000 miles on it. I'm going to buy ex-company in auction I think so it will be quite high for sure.

It's a Passat estate I'm after.

Last edited:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
One concern I'd have is the cam lobes that drive the injectors, I remember PRC (where's he gone, btw?) posting a photo of cam lobe wear from an engine that had been run on non-PD oil IIRC.

If the injectors need replacing, just look at it as an opportunity to fit some bigger ones :)

jw22

anyone for more bubbles?
Jul 24, 2005
Kent
Asr Esp

Just a small point that got my back up.

Was hit whilst driving my pd130 and the stupid kid priving the other car (a NOVA) didn't want to stop. No problems I thought untill he went down some roads with speed humps, then he was leaving me for dead.

WHY coz i hadn't turned off the ESP and as soon as I went over the 1st sleeping policeman (I wish) the gizzmos killed the power.

Could come in handy at sometime knowing this.

he did loose me, the fuzz wern't interested but when your girlfriends father in a high level mason and you have a reg life becomes more interesting. ;)

jw22

anyone for more bubbles?
Jul 24, 2005
Kent
Maybe :shrug:

A few people touched on the ASR/ESP subject and never got a reply In a roundabout way was just passing on a point of note.

nick radwell

not that new
Nov 12, 2004
aylesbury
toxxin and muddyboots u sure done alot of miles for 03 platers and with ur faults dont u get 3 years warranty from seat ? i do on my 53 plate 130 leon which even applies in germany too. also i only done 25000 miles now (inc germany and back a few good times) and consider that high for a 2 year old car (norm 10000 a year) so where do u guys do all ur driving ?????

Fen

Oct 21, 2002
Wellington, NZ
Visit site
My 02 Beezer had 27,500 on it when I sold it. It was 9 months old at the time and I only had it for 5 of them; it was a demo before that. 10,000 per year might be what is considered average but that it dragged down by people who don't use (or even need) their cars. My 306 has done 20k since February as I now do much less mileage but that is still 36k/year.

I'm not convinced I see the point of buying a diesel for under 20k or even 25k a year.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.