Buzzy Altea Speakers and ICE upgrade

Tell

Staff member
It's well worth doing it. I ran mine for two weeks with just the front done since I was the guy that had to work out how to cut down the Golf iV adapters and the wiring, to get the tweeters disabled. When I did the back, the sound was much better and it's pretty good getting rid of the front cheap speakers. It is that back tweeters that are part of the problem and once you get the back done the bass level then comes up in the car as they bass is thudding allong. You hear the bass from the back speakers, but not much else when sitting in the front.

Griffsters

Cheers, i'm convinced! Looks like I'll finish this job off next payday :)

loadswine

loadswine
Try the ebay link if you want value for money. I've not found the Infinitys cheaper anywhere. In fact, the deal is so good , I'm going to get some for my other car.
Lots of others in my other club have gone for components,as OEM, but the Infinity speakers with the adjustable tweeters are better at creating a good soundstage, due to the poor placing of the original tweeters in the doors. Exactly the same as in the Altea.
Tell seems to have this sussed , I think, he was dead right ! The results are spot on.:D

Griffsters

How have you guys gone on with adjusting those tweeters - not paid much attention to it to be honest. On the ones I have you can push it in and turn it but I thought it makes them a bit louder rather than a positional thing...?

Also what settings is everybody using on the headunit for bass, treble etc to get the best out of the infinities?

Edit: Got those off ebay - you're right they were as cheap as I could find. think i'll buy another set next payday.

loadswine

loadswine
With tweeter adjustments, I altered the angle to get the cleanest sound before I put the covers back on. Very clever design, the sound is almost like 3D.
My other car is a Toyota MR2 Roadster. Wind noise isn't too bad funnily enough.
Speaker layout in the doors is very familiar though, could have been designed by the same person!
The club for that car has similar members to you guys , all very helpful and willing to share info. Really makes a difference to the whole ownwership experience. I don't know if I'm allowed to mention other owners' websites on here.

Tell

Staff member
One of these then Loadswine ;)

2CA_135.JPG

Not a bad looking car....

You can visually position the tweeter hot spot adjustment so it's pointing at your ears without really listening. For the back you position it for people there, but unlike the Altea custom speakers in the door at near ear height you don't get the rears feeding into your ear. That tweeter from the rear when replaced with integrated speakers such as the Infinity, the sound is just lost into the fabric at the rear, which is what you want. The bass however you do hear and directional presence isn't an issue for that.

Stealthdave

Sep 28, 2006
this is something ill be doing straight away. Nice to see you dont have to take off the whole door panel, as I did with my focus....:(

Will probably only replacing the fronts as the im not fussed about the peeps in the back, hehe

Stealthdave

Sep 28, 2006
cheers..just got to wait twelve weeks for the car..focus change made a massive difference....

intruder

just one more after everything is almost clear about the speaker upgrade:
Can I use the speaker/adapter for the Leon 1P too after switching cars or do I have to buy new adapter rings because of the cut lip?

Tell

Staff member
A 1P is a new Leon I believe... ? there was a reported problem on the other board for the New Leon under the thread "another speaker thread" or words to that effect. The guy bought more chunky speakers and had to slice a bit more off the tube to get the front of the grill to fit [it hasn't been an issue till then], but in principle you should be OK to swap them over. Have a look at what is said.

intruder

Thanx Tell
It is the new Leon indeed. Going with the Infinity Kappa652.7i and the autoleaks sak3103 should do it.
Only need a 20 TX screwdriver, hacksaw and choc blocks to do the job then.

Tell

Staff member
Yep, if it's TX20 that I said in my original thread.... everything else, the screws, the cable etc is in the autoleads kit, just need to hack saw off the lip of the speaker adaptor kit so it fits in flush. I soldered the wires on myself to the terminals of the speakers whilst in the house [observing polarity] else I think you will need spades, then you just clip the speaker lead into the existing connection, cut the autoleads lead wires as I said to silence the inbuilt tweeters. I threw the crossover inside the door skin where it's happy to sit on the floor. You don't hear it move or anything :).

In the thread

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=114028&page=4

the guy was fitting the next size up of speaker or variant in his New Leon and hence his issue and further cutting since the Leon's speaker grill wouldn't fit back over. You'll be alright with the Kappa652.7i.

intruder

speakers and adapter arrived today:D after ordering them on Tuesday on ebay
tomorrow will be fitted, btw the speakers really look good:clap:
Can't wait to hear them in the car

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Hi, you may get away with using no adaptors, i did on alpine speakers, had adaptors in until three days ago and got sick of the buzzing and the speaker hitting the grill, measured all up and had plenty of clearance in door for speakers (window etc), just tidy away the cables so they dont snag on window mount. sounds a lot better now i think. covered in this thread:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106831&page=2

Thought might be usefull to know?:confused:

Tell

Staff member
If they are the Inifinity speakers you won't get away without the adaptors since that's what you require ;) .... I had my Infinity speakers for about a six weeks before fitting them. First I had a duff part number from a Pioneer web site for the Altea which was clearly wrong when I got their kit. They then accepted that they were wrong and had deleted them from their catalogue. That's when I moved into risk taking, looked at the photo of the Golf IV ones and thought, well I think these may fit.... a substantial number of guys have used these to fit their speakers in Alteas, New Toledos and New Leons now. When I say substantial I suspect it's running into hundreds now, all hacksawing down the lip following my notes.

You don't have tweeters on yours Googies so they aren't going to be up to the quality of ditching the existing tweeters, getting speakers with a proper crossover and indeed decent speakers [although the Alpine will be decent, but suffering from the Altea cheap tweeter thing, position with the rears and the poor crossover.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.