VW Transporter TDI 172 -- the fastest vehicle on the roads today

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Was on the dual carriageway from the M1 into Chesterfield today, I'm doing an, er, comfortable speed in lane 2 and a red VW Transporter van literally comes out of nowhere and sits on my tail.

I pull over to let him through, and he p-i-s-s-e-s past me like I'm stuck in neutral. I boot it to give chase and he's still pulling away, doing easily 100+ :wtf: :-o

Follow him thru Chesterfield and up over the top, and he's overtaking everything. Finally get behind him at some lights, and its a TDI 172, with the 2.5 litre inline 5-cylinder motor.

But this thing is a full-size transit van ... it must have awesome grunt. Why is that VAG motor wasted on vans and Touaregs? :cry:

monkeysan

brownie points to the first loon to transplant that lump into a car *checks bank balance and cackles evily*

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
VW Transporter Shuttle T30 SE 2.5 TDI, £24,280
Maximum speed: 117mph | 0-62mph: 11.8 seconds
Overall test MPG: 32mpg | Power: 174bhp | Torque: 295lb ft

jmcvicar

Jan 21, 2005
A geordie dahn sarf
There's an older transporter around here in blue - fast as fcuk.

Don't know what engine's in it, and the only external indications of mods are the flash alloy wheels and twin exhausts. It's quicker than me on the bends and much much quicker 0-60. He also drives like a looney - 80+ mph in a 30 :ban:

caney

Apr 24, 2005
my day today transport is a t4 vw transporter,superchipped to 135bhp:D i'm the fastest carpet fitter in warwickshire:p
IMGA0525.jpg

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
jmcvicar said:
There's an older transporter around here in blue - fast as fcuk.

Don't know what engine's in it, and the only external indications of mods are the flash alloy wheels and twin exhausts. It's quicker than me on the bends and much much quicker 0-60. He also drives like a looney - 80+ mph in a 30 :ban:

VR6 engine? think they were 4WD Synchro?

davidol

New ghetto whip :)
Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
i had one of these in the workshop the other day for loads of goodies as the guy takes his son abroad in it quad bike racing. Drove it back to the dealership and it was stupidly quick for a van, remapped it'd give my ibiza cupra a run for its money no problems, in fact it'd beat me!

caney

Apr 24, 2005
hey rich that's slander mate! that's just cost you a nice shiny forge dv;) i'll be round for it on monday:)

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
i had a 110 as a hire van for a while,absaluteley loved it,handing it back was a nightmare,compared to my shitreon it was a ferrari.
i just hope my new iveco can at least match its mid range grunt.twice the size but 2.8 TDI iirc

RichardBW

Jan 9, 2002
Leamington Spa
To quote caney.....hey rich that's slander mate! that's just cost you a nice shiny forge dv i'll be round for it on monday

Are those figures for the T4?:confused: ;)

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
I had the same experience on the M25 some weeks back. This black passenger VW transporter (the version with 7 seats) came from behind at a rate of knots. I move over and it just blasts off ... I could not keep up with it!

The guy had pimped it up slightly - it was very quick!

RichardBW

Jan 9, 2002
Leamington Spa
Did it have alloys and a "Zeema innovations" sticker on the back door? if so it was probably Chris from BBT Motorsport/Zeema?
His is a chipped 174 2.5 so probably running around 200bhp.

caney

Apr 24, 2005
RichardBW said:
To quote caney.....hey rich that's slander mate! that's just cost you a nice shiny forge dv i'll be round for it on monday

Are those figures for the T4?:confused: ;)
my t4 is the 2.5 102bhp model with a superchip remap(30-35bhp increase)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise