mufflerectomy...

Red LCR TDI

Feb 15, 2006
Portsmouth
was hoping for some advice on the american favourite of performing a mufflerectomy.

i have the cupra r kit for my tdi, but the arse end is looking a bit sorry due to the standard exhaust. (car is still in early stages)

wanna get the car externally sorted before i start working abroad, but dont want too quick a fix as im planning on letting allard work their magic when i get back. :D

milltek qouted me £318 for a cat-back system, but reading TDIClub they give the impression that there is no need for expensive systems if you can just hack it off and get the same result.

therefore i have a couple of q's

1. what is better for a big power hike?

2. if it is the mufflerectomy, is it legal in the uk. ie, does the car have to have a backbox or does it just have to pass noise and emissions? dont really fancy switchin at MOT time.

totally off subject, any tips for getting the jacking point covers on, mine dont seem to want to and i dont really wanna start filing them down if its just me bein a muppet.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
You need a pipe to the back of the car :) but why not try & get an LCR exhaust (2nd hand?) and put a reducer on it.

Red LCR TDI

Feb 15, 2006
Portsmouth
was gonna get the non-resonated milltek but if it doesnt need a back box at all i might just do that.

if i keep the bore roughly the same and don't go silly the noise shouldn't get too much louder right?

keeping the cat for a bit of back pressure, maybe get a race one when the engine gets tuned. so emissions that the cat deals with should be fine, what exactly does the backbox do? if it doesnt alter the sound that much. will there be a problem with the smoke test, i know its hard to say unless you've had it done.

no point doin the mufflerectomy (excuse my poor use of amer... i mean english) if i have to buy the milltek anyway to pass smoke test.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Red LCR TDI said:
no point doin the mufflerectomy (excuse my poor use of amer... i mean english) if i have to buy the milltek anyway to pass smoke test.
The type of exhaust and how many silencers you have won't affect smoke output, that's dictated by your remap :)

nick radwell

not that new
Nov 12, 2004
aylesbury
i did this exact same thing on my tdi see pics here will put link in a sec! got sound clips too!
ok that didnt work cant attach either for some reason?

Last edited:

T. Spark

Where did you get that don devonutopia? Got any sound clips and a price?

Got quoted £100 for a mufflerectomy on mine with a new tail pipe?

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Jason got his done at Custom chrome in Painton Devon but any custom exhaust place should easily be able to do it.All they do is run an exhaust pipe to the back of your car then weld on the tail pipe of your choice. Very basic really.

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
devonmikeyboy said:
Jason got his done at Custom chrome in Painton Devon but any custom exhaust place should easily be able to do it.All they do is run an exhaust pipe to the back of your car then weld on the tail pipe of your choice. Very basic really.

Indeed - custom chrome is just the branding on the tailpipe. The place has "American racing" exhaust posters everywhere. Either way, its just 2.25" stainless bent to fit to match the oem exhaust route. £100 sounds OK to me. I paid £300 as it was a very long bit of exhaust (around 8 foot I think) plus the fairly large stainless oval tail.

Oh, it was AMS tyres and exhausts in Paignton that fitted it.

T Spark - there's a link to an MP3 in my post above - right click and save target as. Thats mine. :)

Last edited:

Red LCR TDI

Feb 15, 2006
Portsmouth
is it 2.25 or 2.5 then you said different answers in each post. if i'm gettin the oversive turbo downpipe in a while i guess its worth gettin the 2.5 now. or should i wait and get the whole system together?problem is i cant afford that much atm being a poor student.

love the sound of that fabia tho, sounds like my cousins rally car, tho not quite so meaty.

do you get the slight dull spot they talk about on tdiclub at lower revs. at the moment with my induction kit it gets very loud and low at 2k and grumbles if i deccelerate. is this what their talking about and will this be accentuated?

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
I said it was 2.25" in both my posts. :D

I've got no issues with any flat spots at all. Just a bit of turbo lag every now and then, which I can drive around anyway. :)

Red LCR TDI

Feb 15, 2006
Portsmouth
sorry, misread it.

isnt the straight through meant to help the turbo spool up quicker? :think:

anyway, seems to be the way forward. stainless so it lasts ages and good on the wallet and modding potential!

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Well, its always been laggy, but it soon spins up once its going. Its hard to describe - just a little bit more laggy than my old pd100 turbo was - gone from that straight to the vnt17/vnt20 hybrid.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
finally someone thought that spending £350 for an aftermarket exhaust is simply dumbass behaviour when you can have it for a tenth of the price,,,

if you want big sound and better spool up remove the back box and put a straight pipe instead of it, if you want a lighter sound [compared to backbox jobbie] and better spool up open the cat along the seams, empy it and put a straight pipe into it, then re-weld at the seams and it'll look like a normal cat.
If you don't care about anything [devon] just put a straight pipe from the turbo back to the back of the car and be happy,,, you don't need any back pressure, the turbo provides it already.

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
basstard said:
If you don't care about anything [devon] just put a straight pipe from the turbo back to the back of the car and be happy,,, you don't need any back pressure, the turbo provides it already.

Well, I care about some things. :p

But I couldn't get full turbo back stainless pipe in for less than £300. Labour charges made up most of that as it was about 3 hours work with all the bending of the pipe around the rear axle. :) (and a tarty tailpipe too. :rolleyes: )

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
So does it improve the exhaust sound of a Normal Remapped TDI such as mine? (ie no induction kit or anything)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise