Temperature Light and warning sound

SILVER FOX 20V

Every single morning when i get in the motor, turn the engine on the temp warning light starts flashing and warning sound beeps.......i can understand this function - to let me know its v.cold and to keep the revs especially low while she heats up.....BUT EVERY MORNING, even when its not that cold!!

I took it into the garage - they said my coolent level was below the mimimum level, so they topped it up....

...next morning...BEEP BEEP...FLASH (boring!) - didn't feel that cold, checked the air temp - 5 degrees (is that cold enough for this light to come on??)

whats the deal with this ?

:(

SILVER FOX 20V

basstard said:
Get it checked via OBDII for fault codes, if it's the coolant temp sensor, it'll show up

i told the garage i thought there was a problem with the coolent sensor....surely they would have checked for a fault code....?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sammiguel

Hm - mine has done this over the last couple of winters - when it's been very cold, or when the car was parked on a steep hill. That sounds like the right sort of behaviour for those situations but now it's doing it every time it's cold (ie not run for say 4-5 hours or so) - with the outside air temperature not making any difference (did it this morning at +0.5 deg, did it the other day with +9.5 deg)

Weird thing is, as soon as it actually warms up (engine gauge about 70-90) restarting the engine it goes away, so it appears that it is telling me that the coolant temperature is too low and it's not a hard fault, but the ambient is such that it can't always be too low if you catch my drift.

I'm restarting the engine partway into my journey to clear the alarm (in case it goes off genuinely due to high temp) but I reckon this is putting undue wear on the starter etc.

Any ideas for a cheap fix (I'm out of warranty and have yet to find a SEAT dealer that isn't a numpty!) - I'm in Suffolk and haven't had good experiences with the one in Colchester, the one in Chelmsford (since lost the dealership) was abysmal and where I used to live were equally incompetent.

(ps the header level is above the 'min' mark and below the 'max' so I guess that's ok, and at motorway speed <g> the temperature is about 91 which is normal I believe, so the coolant must be pumping around the circuit.

cheers

JONNY BRONCO

chuck in some G12 collant. available from all seat dealers. i had the same problem and topping up the coolant sorted it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members