Recommended Diesel Engine Oil?

zigojacko

Hey everyone, am wondering if someone could help me please.

I need to get some engine oil for my Seat Leon 1.9TDi (52 plate) but can't remember which grade I purchased last time. Should it be 15w 40?

Can anyone advise or point me in the direction of a reliable source online please?

Many thanks. :)

zigojacko

Thanks for the reply :)

I'm nowhere near a VW garage at the moment but I assume I can purchase it from a mainstream supermarket like Tescos/Sainsburies? heh

I am useless with the different grades/types of engine oil... I assume this oil is best for engine care, performance and temperature (as we are approaching winter)?

Many thanks

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
see this sticky thread in TDI section

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47660

available at vw seat skoda audi some parts depts can get it there are online places like opie oils etc

never use what you can get ur hands on for convenience , theyve used a specific grade for a reason , sont be the next person to blow something up engine wise for not using the proper stuff its not that dear even from the stealers

Lodgey180

WoOoOoOsShH
May 3, 2008
Middlesbrough
www.mootr.co.uk
i work in a TPS centre and all the diesels use either longlife or platinum now

longlife 3 being 5/30
platinum deing 5/40

We only sell VW autherized stuff so this would be more than good enough

hope it helps

zigojacko

Thanks guys, I will aim to get the platinum 5w40, don't think I have purchased this grade previously and I'm hoping it won't be too expensive as I'm pretty skint.

Say for example, I was unable to get hold of this oil, would I be able to put (for eg.) 10w40 or 15w40 in my engine safely or would you recommend against this?

Thanks

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Depends on whether you have a PD engine or not.

TDI 90 and TDI 110 are non-PD
TDI 130 and TDI 150 are PD

Check the post mentioned above for the appropriate oils

zigojacko

Excuse my ignorance but what does PD stand for? I'm not familiar with the term... :/

And I can't work out from that topic on oil which category my car falls under... Heh

------------------------------
VW505.00

Basically for all of the older diesel (read non-PD) diesel engines:

1.6 & 1.9 D/TD/SDI/TDI90/TDI110 & 2.5TDI & 3.3TDI

VW505.01

For Diesel PD engines:

1.4TDI & 1.9PD's (115/130/150) & 2.0

VW506.01

As above but for variable service (extended range servicing).
------------------------------

I have a Seat Leon 1.9TDi on a 52 plate

I saw some 5w40 fully synthetic diesel engine oil in my local shell garage earlier though for £14.95, I may get this later... That would be okay yeah? Thanks

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members